PCB mount switches pro and con

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

I was gonna put this in the brewery but think its pertinent to all of our projects. Several projects spec a pcb mount dpdt. The most common pcb mounts that I can find dont have a screw bushing to mount to the face plate, they just float on a board. If you are building boxes that you plan on switching during a mix, I would think twice about using a pcb mount switch if it passes audio and doesnt just fire a relay. Ive got lots of switches like this on my console and some boxes Ive built and Ive just recently had to redo mixes because of noise from the switches. If the switch isnt mounted tight to the front panel of your box, if you use too much pressure, you flex the board or at least the solder joint and this can translate as noise in your mix which is a real bummer. Just thought Id post this as something to keep in mind for future projects. I think for stuff like mute switches, I'll be using panel mount and then running wires to the PCB. So yes, it is convenient to use a pcb mount switch but its not always the best choice depending upon the application.

experience is worth all the gold in the world.

dave

Yes,

I agree- it isn't just the strength of the PCB/solder connection that's the problem, it's the fact that switches/controls mounted in this way usually have a direct route for dust/hair/debris/coffe/beer to find their way directly into the workings of the device.

When a switch or control is mounted to a panel, it's usually done in such a way that it is way more impervious to bad stuff from the outside world.

...above switches and pots- connectors mounted on PC boards do my head in the most- how many XLR's/jack sockets do you have to fix before manufacturers realise that solder isn't a strong retaining compound :roll:

Mark

I dislike PCB mount part that get pushed on or vibrated.

1/4 inck PCB jacks in guitar amps.

Soldered in tube sockets in guitar or bass amps the vibration help breaks the solder and the heat is transfered via the pins is helping.

Any part that gets pushed on and is connected to the pcb is always a problem waiting to happen if it is not strain relieved via the panel. IMO.

This brings up a Idea I have for PCB mounted tube sockets. make the pad areas big on the high heat pins so it acts like a heatsink or even add small Cu heatsinks soldered to the pads. This is done with ICs.

Remember the thermocam pictures of the 6au6 tubes? The base of the tube was HOT. radiation and conduction. Alot of the tubes heat seems to travel via the conduction path of the pins.

what I notice is all pressure related. If I slam my hand down on a mute, I can hear it. I cranked up the volume on my console and pushed on a mute and moved it around and there is the noise. If it was a panel mount, the panel would absorb the shock, or at least the brunt of it. IT would be nice if manufacturers threaded these PCB connectors so you could panel mount it if you wanted, but I dont see that happening any time soon. For most switches its not a big deal, but for stuff that you might be using while tape is rolling its turning into a huge issue for me.

dave

Back