Recessed Switches for panel PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshtrayWasp

I'm trying to find a toggle switch I could use for a panel pcb that'll also have some pots in it but I want the switch to have that recessed look, like in the picture, and I think all the ones I could find still in production would protrude too much and just have the threaded part coming through. Anyone know where I could find some that would look like in the picture with pots mounted as well.

Attachments

• Prodigy-6_preview.jpeg
    Prodigy-6_preview.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 3
If I understand right what you're looking to achieve, I do a similar thing with my panels using standard toggle switches mounted to a second panel that's attached to the back of the front panel. Pots and switches tend to be mounted to that internal panel as well, keeping all nuts and bushing off the front panel - makes things look cleaner to my eyes.

You'll see what I mean here (with a little discussion round mounting the toggle switches):
https://groupdiy.com/threads/project-helios-ten-type-69-in-3u.77989

If I understand right what you're looking to achieve, I do a similar thing with my panels using standard toggle switches mounted to a second panel that's attached to the back of the front panel. Pots and switches tend to be mounted to that internal panel as well, keeping all nuts and bushing off the front panel - makes things look cleaner to my eyes.

You'll see what I mean here (with a little discussion round mounting the toggle switches):
https://groupdiy.com/threads/project-helios-ten-type-69-in-3u.77989
I see so its just another aluminium panel offset from the main panel? and how do you secure that panel to the main panel? Screws on the sides?

Sure, here's a few from my W492 EQ build.

Here's the internal panel, from the front. You'll see that all controls are mounted directly on the internal panel, and there are 14 additional holes that match to threaded standoffs (M3 bolts) welded to the back of the front panel. I use one nut per standoff to set the distance from the front panel, and another to secure the internal panel. No wobbles whatsoever, it's solid as you like - if anything, the internal panel and front panel reinforce each other.

IMG_4920.JPG

Top down view during construction - you'll see the internal panel secured to the front panel at the top.
IMG_4962.JPG

And the finished unit from the front. The only visible hardware are the chassis bolts left and right, everything else is hidden. The Fantom passive EQ below is done the same - the MS PQ76 above is a much earlier build with controls mounted directly on the front panel.
IMG_4983.JPG

Hope that helps to illustrate the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_4980.JPG
    IMG_4980.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for the pictures, they look beautiful! I see what you mean now. Also out of curiosity, what software do you use to make the panel designs and the knob scales?

How do you get the knob scales like you do for the frequency? I use synth panel designer but its hard to align them all like that

Nice work ! I see you are using frontpanels.de chassis system, do you also get the front panels made by them ?
I wasn't too happy with the welded bolts on aluminium panels, in some instances they came off very easily.

On more recent times they use another method by drilling a blind hole in the back of the panel and fix a grub screw with a strong epoxy.
I am not sure whether the blind hole is threaded or it's just the glue holding the bolt in place, but the end result is quite strong, a lot better than the welded parts, in my experience at least.

I also had some panels made by another company using this kind of press fit inserts and the result is very good

https://catalog.pemnet.com/viewitem...led-head-studs-types-cha-cfha-chc-cfhc-metric

Yes, I generally get my panels done by frontpanels.de. I had similar experiences with one welded bolt a little while ago - it's good to hear they've changed how they do this. I'd been considering blind tapped hopes with epoxy but wasn't sure a 3mm panel would give a screw enough to bite into, sounds like they've sorted it though. Thanks for the info.

Have heard good things about PEM fasteners!

Threaded standoffs on the rear of the front panel is generally how I do 19" panels.
Has anyone here ever heard of "PEM" hardware??? I use these devices all of the time by the boatloads on my chassis designs!!!

Here are a few examples:

>> The dark circular devices that you see the machine screw thread protruding through are called "PEM-nuts".
They are directly -- pressed-fit -- into the sheet-metal by the sheet-metal fabrication shop. No washers or external
nuts are required.

1688188752981.png

Down below are shown a variety of "PEM Threaded Studs" and the
small doohickey shown at the upper-center with a hole in it is a "PEM
Threaded Standoff:
↓↓

1688190699064.png

This image shows the above devices from their mounting surface side:
(Notice that they are all "Flush-Mounted")
1688191049946.png

The image down below shows some "PEM Push-On" PCB-standoffs that
are "Press-Fit" into the sheet-metal. The sheet-metal fabricator has the
equipment to -- force -- the (yellow) standoffs into the metalwork. Then,
when you are ready to mount a PCB into the chassis, you merely align
and place the PCB over the standoffs and apply a bit of pressure onto
the PCB to -- force -- the PCB down and onto the standoff. Once in place,
the -- tangs -- of the standoff expand and firmly hold the PCB in place,
no screws, washers or nuts are required!!! A very clean appearance. (NOTE:
The standoffs shown in the upper-and-lower-left corners are actually pressed
into the front-panel, but I have suppressed the front-panel in this view so the
other items can be seen. The light-grey item that you see the machine screws
screwed into are the same type of "PEM-nut" as is shown in the above first image).
1688193713694.png

I hope this stuff will help someone somewhere along the way!!!

/

Latest posts

Back