cutting audio snakes 24 pair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I been mulling over this as I am currently wiring up an entire studio console and all for a client by myself. He doesn't wish to pay extra for more techs. He does not understand that it will ultimately cost more in time and funds for just me, as it will take longer. Anyway I have a system that is pretty good for cutting the 24 pair to length but in the end I still end up having to trim the individual pairs once I get the  rubber sheath off when doing fan outs.  Obviously this is done so each chanel/pais is same lenght. any suggestions on how I can cut it so asI can skip this?

nielsk said:
those do not work well. U still end having to trim the individual channels to be same length.  Best I can come up with is a single edge razor hammered down threw the entire snake and even then gotta trim pairs to be even length. I got 15+ years and I still have yet to find a perfect system.

Ptownkid said:
I've had great success with a hacksaw and vise believe it or not...

I believe it.

kilmister said:
pucho812 said:
any suggestions on how I can cut it so asI can skip this?

Knipex is your best friend.
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1371&groupID=1435

-Paavo

now were talking... They look like pipe cutters...

I just want to cut once without have to retrim the channels to be all the same lenght.

pucho812 said:
I just want to cut once without have to retrim the channels to be all even.

In reality depending on twist of your cable there is always some roughness but it is measured in couple of millimeters - nothing that really matters.
If you want to be really precise you have to make two cuts. First one with top cover on and second after peeling it.

-Paavo

kilmister said:
pucho812 said:
I just want to cut once without have to retrim the channels to be all even.

In reality depending on twist of your cable there is always some roughness but it is measured in couple of millimeters - nothing that really matters.
If you want to be really precise you have to make two cuts. First one with top cover on and second after peeling it.

-Paavo

exactly.  Mogami 2936 24 pair wraps it as such that the first 8 channels are really tight and then the other 16 channels loose around the original 8. then sheath over it. So when you cut  you end up with  around 6 milimeters, 1/4 inch difference. Not that much but enough so that when you add ends you get  a length difference that anyone can spot. So I have to retrim after the sheath is off. Trying to not do that anymore.

Are you working a flat rate for the whole job? Or by the hour?

For $1000 there will be a few odd ends.

For $20/hour I will take the time to make every end exactly the same no matter how long it takes me or how short my re-re-re-trimming gets.

I am not sure if I understand correctly, but isn't the uneven length of the single pairs down to the way they are wound inside the multicore, so even if luke skywalker cut the main cable with his light sabre, they would still be uneven lengths once unravelled? (again just by millimeters)

I agree and mogami is the worst for it. I made myself a 8 channel belden snake and didn't have the issues I have had with mogami. If work didn't require I use mogami I would toss it away.

Back