Consumption of 9k Balancing Boards

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I've built up an 8 channel Sony MXP3000 mic preamp using the 9k PSU and 9k balancing boards.  I've built another one here that worked for years, but I didn't add any balancing boards to that so perhaps it's not drawing that much?  We're noticing that after 2 hours of use, all the pres seem to lose frequency response and sound like a telephone.  Is it possible the toroid isn't able to produce enough power?  But, is it possible to take 2 hours for this take effect?

How much power can these balancers possibly consume...?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sig

No one eh?  Has anyone had issues with the Avel Lindberg stuff?  I was running my other 8 channel mic pre here for hours yesterday, even with +48v on every channel - no problems at all, and it was built with Amveco power transformers.

Is it possible that one mic pre is loading the rest down somehow?  But again, why is it taking 2 hours to go...?

Thanks,
Sig

Do you have room for larger heatsinks? Are you using a thermal compound? I had a power supply regulator where a little "burr" of plastic on the back of the regulator prevented a good mate to the heatsink. Maybe your heatsink is not "getting" the heat off of the component fast enough and it is building up.

Latest posts

Back