small line mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilium

Hey guys:

I need a 8 to 2 channel mixer with at least one fx send/return. It's for computer/electronics performances. There are plenty of things from Mackie and Behringer that would more than fit the bill, but are there any vintage options out there I should look out for? How involved would a DIY option be?

-neil

There were a bunch of little 8 x 2s made years ago. If you're not looking to blow big bucks on a tube mixer or a small Neve, consider something like a Tascam M30, which can be bought cheap and upgraded through some chip replacements and grounding modifications. I looked into this when I scored a near-mint M30 for cheap and asked around; apparently, some owners have modified this little mixer with great success. Anyway, that's just an example of a cheap sleeper that could be made to fit the bill.

If you wanted to go the DIY route, an 8 x 2 line mixer with pan controls and one or two aux sends should be fairly easy, especially if you don't need more advanced features such as EQ.

Do you require balanced inputs or outputs? +4dBU or -10dBV level?
What sort of devices will you connect to it? What are the desired input and output impedances?
Do you need EQ?

Hey Dave, I've got a M35 sitting in the basement. Havent even powered it up, got it for free.. It's a bit beat up but is 'supposedly' working.. Can this be upgraded to something 1/2 decent? I was just going to strip it for the VU meters! :twisted:

-Jay

I have a couple of DIY mixers BUT I think you will find that A and B have some single rack units that are just too cheap to ignore. It just is not worth your time to make this unless it is something special.

Second hand ... Tascam has a 10 channel unit worth a look.

Don't forget Rane... They make a nice little 1RU 8 x 2.

I think our original poster might be looking for something with a little more of a funky character, though. I could be wrong...

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I don't need xlr ins, phantom power or eq. XLR outs might be useful, but for most places I play, 1/4" unbalanced is fine. Character would be nice, but reliability is more important.

In my cursory search, I completely overlooked rackmount mixers. Thanks for reminding me. I don't remember if they have ones with fx loops.

I like the used tascam idea, too.

You know, I should fess up to the heart of this question. I've been composing and performing computer music (using Max/MSP, SuperCollider, Soundhack, and other apps). I'm a big fan of the genre, but lately the sound of live electronic music is the sound of Mackie and Behringer mini mixers. So I'd like to explore other options.

anyway, thanks again for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back