French translation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustav

I need "The red cheesebride" translated into french.

Its for a cake on a menu.

Didnt know where else to ask.  :p

Gustav

Gustav said:
I need "The red cheesebride" translated into french.

Its for a cake on a menu.

Didnt know where else to ask.  :p

Gustav

Dunno what this means or is in English, but are you talking about this  ???

bonbelvsbabybel2.jpg

"cheesebride" is not a common word in English. In fact I never heard it, do not know what it means.

In the USA, most cheese is pretty bad, so comparing your bride to cheese is pretty bad.

It is not a common word in Google either. Some twitter/forum nicknames.

This blog eventually talks about a wedding cake made of layers of cheese, "A few tiered truckles of cheddar, Stilton, Camembert and the ilk, perhaps insouciantly draped with grapes."

Thanks guys.

Its a "made up word", and Im not comparing the bride to cheese :)

Wedding cake is a strawberry cheese cake, the bride is a redhead. Rest of the menu is in some form of french, so wanted to add this in a fun way.

Gustav

French is a romance language which doesn't often tend to elide words to make compound words... that's more a function of Gemanic languages I think...

Whereas German for example will happily make one word from as many words as it takes (Rathaus, Eisenbahn) and this is also true in the Germanic-influenced English language (Town-hall, railway) the French and other romance languages tend to use separate, sequential, descriptive words, often with a 'de' (of) in the middle: (Hotel-de-ville, Chemin-de-fer...)

So I would assume the construction would be necessarily clumsy in French: "the red bride of cheese" or something along the lines of "l'épouse de fromage rouge". -The format of putting a single descriptive word at the tail would mean that the ambiguity in 'red cheesebride' would have to be clarified in order to determine whether it means 'the bride of is red' (as previously offered), or the CHEESE itself is red, and not the bride... which would be somthing like "l'épouse rouge de fromage".

"The red cheesebride" in English is ambiguous in that it could refer to 'a red bride of cheese' or 'a bride of red cheese'. -Using the word 'of' in English pretty much requires the clarification, and since there is little option in French -being a romance language- the ambiguity pretty much HAS to be lost...

So there's not any direct translation which I can come up which sustains the ambiguity...

Out of curiosity, is your native language Danish, and -if so- does Danish use the same 'germanic' compound word structure? -Also, if so, does it also retain the same ambiguity regarding what the 'red' refers to?

I'm genuinely interested...
-Keef

In fact, you gave us another example which I should have used: In German it's "Käsekuchen", in English "Cheesecake" whereas in French it's "Gâteau au Fromage"

Keef

It's a tough thing to translate in french. First of all redhead is not the same as red (the color) in french.
red is rouge and red hair for a woman is rousse (man: roux).
Thus the analogy to the red color of the cheesecake is tough.

Bride: La mariée
Cheese: Frômage
red: Rousse

then you have gender to words.

So you could go with La mariée au frômage roux. which implies that the cheese is red hair or 'roux' (it's a color too in french, uk use 'ginger') and not the bride.

or La rousse mariée au frômage would mean the red hair bride made with cheese.

first things that comes to mind would be: "Le cheesecake aux fraises de la mariée" or "Le cheesecake de la rousse mariée"

or to play with the color analogy, I would go with "roux pour la mariée, rouge pour le cheesecake." ('ginger' (the color) for the bride, red for the cheesecake. A very french way of thinking ;)

It's acceptable to use 'cheesecake' in french if it's a cheesecake recipe… meaning US/NYC style. Tarte au frômage is not the same thing as a cheesecake.

hope it helps.

nhaudio said:
So you could go with La mariée au frômage roux. which implies that the cheese is red hair or 'roux' (it's a color too in french, uk use 'ginger') and not the bride.

or La rousse mariée au frômage would mean the red hair bride made with cheese.
either one wouldn't fit to an elegant name for a decent meal....

or to play with the color analogy, I would go with "roux pour la mariée, rouge pour le cheesecake." ('ginger' (the color) for the bride, red for the cheesecake. A very french way of thinking ;)
this one looks more like a real "grande cuisine" style of naming.
In any way, none of the direct translations you could find will make a good name for a dessert.

Is the wedding in France, with French people?

Or Denmark (UK, US, etc) with french-style menu?

In France you better do it right.

In most of the rest of the world French is usually bastardized. Even the word itself: French Fries (more Belgian), US French Dressing (made with ketchup!).

Unfortunately if the French call New York cheesecake "cheesecake" (cream cheese is hardly  anything the French would call frômage) then the "proper" form does not look very French.

OTOH, if I saw "roux pour la mariée, rouge pour le cheesecake", I would know I was getting cheesecake, yum! I can always scrape-off the "roux" "rouge" and "mariée".

You do realize that in the US, "cheesecake" can refer to images of scantily-clad women?
1479985583.png
NowServingCheesecake.jpg

cheesecake-picnic-party1.jpg

Perhaps only the oldest guests would make this connection.

Gustav,

Thank you for a wonderful thread!

It was definitely the best place to ask!

Have a great wedding!

best
DaveP

nhaudio said:
PRR said:
You do realize that in the US, "cheesecake" can refer to images of scantily-clad women?

Nice! I didn't know about this one ;)

Do you know how it came about?
In Canada it has more to do with the pose then the clothes (our lack there of)

nhaudio said:
It's a tough thing to translate in french. First of all redhead is not the same as red (the color) in french.
red is rouge and red hair for a woman is rousse (man: roux).
Thus the analogy to the red color of the cheesecake is tough.

Bride: La mariée
Cheese: Frômage
red: Rousse
Redhead can also be translated by "rouquine" (pronounced rookin'), which is a vernacular term, but not vulgar.
I could imagine a menu with "Le cheesecake à la rouquine", everybody would know they'll have NY-style cheesecake and understand the pun when they see the colour.

Latest posts

Back