question about enclosure design

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michal_k

Hi everybody,

I have a question about designing an enclosure. How do I connect two pieces of steel without threading the holes. What should be the hole diameter for m3 screws? Should the screws be of some special kind or regular machined thread would do? What's the max aluminum/steel thickness?

cheers,
Michal

ruffrecords said:
Nut, bolt and shake-proof washer?

I'm pretty sure it can be done without nut, I just don't know how ;)
I consider steel because I've found a manufacturer that is cheap, willing to do one-offs, but can not process alu.

Par-Metal uses threaded rings that are spot welded over a hole for the sheet metal enclosure. I think you could probably tap a long piece of what you need and then cut it up into small pieces to weld.

As John said you can use thread forming screws.

The hole diameter should be 0.3mm smaller than the screw. For example for M3 the hole diameter should be 2.7mm.

In terms of the material thickness don't go below 1.5mm. If the depth is around 150mm to 200mm you might be o.k. with 1.2mm.

Gold said:
Par-Metal uses threaded rings that are spot welded over a hole for the sheet metal enclosure. I think you could probably tap a long piece of what you need and then cut it up into small pieces to weld.

I'm pretty sure they use pressed "bungs" now. but it's the same concept. You should be able to buy those, but the hole they go into needs to be fairly precise and then you have to press them all in, etc. If you have an arbor press, no problem. Or maybe you're skilled with a hammer.

Back