Press fit fasteners

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest I think either you are missing the point of what I am trying to do, or perhaps you are mainly interested in spam advertising your services, like you do on any thread where similar topics are discussed.
[perhaps you are mainly interested in spam advertising your services] -- I'm NOT advertising anything!!! I was just making a comment based upon my understanding of what you had said and what I have seen happen "in real life"!!!

I don't give a flying fvck of what you end up doing or how you do it!!! My earlier posts were my merely just offering some assistance, but apparently you already have -- EVERYTHING -- under control!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

/

We put thousands of those in a week in the plant I run. To get them in right we use a “Pemserter” machine that applies ~800 to ~2000lbs of force (depending on the part and substrate) and a controlled dwell to ensure the metal flows.

We have to replace a few too. For that we have a lot of progressively dodgier options but we’ve set some with a C clamp with a pipe on the handle. In steel it will be a lot of work but I bet you could do it. If you have space around the PEM using a bench or machinist vice is a bit easier.

Hi.

First of all, apologies for not replying sooner, the weekend was a bit hectic.

Good point, I did not consider that. I am gonna be using zinc plate steel for the chassis body so will point this out to the fabricator.

That unfortunate feature of all ferrous materials doesn't always play a significant role, but when it does, it can be a real PITA.
And if the holes are small enough, it may even require the holes to be drilled or punched instead, rather than laser cut, pumping the price of manufacturing up considerably.

Totally get the other points you made, thanks a lot for your valued contributions.

You're welcome.

The working force is listed as 250kg.

That's way less than what I expected, but OTOH would explain the punching capacity figures the seller gave to You.
As nice as it sounded, I do agree that unfortunately it's not necessarily the right press for Your needs.

Unless I am missing something ?

No You're not.

That said, while I don't have any experience with the fasteners You're using and obviously do not doubt the manufacturers recommendation, the 11/15kN installation force requirement sounds very high for such a small material displacement.
I also mainly use manual arbor press or hand cranked hydraulic shop press for such jobs so it's somewhat hard to determine what the actual force required for each job is.
"If it doesn't come out or doesn't go in willingly, use a longer lever and try again" :D

If the height ajustable head isn't absolutely necessary, a fixed C-frame arbor press converted to pneumatic or hydraulic operation might be the most economical solution for Your needs.
Or even a small hydraulic shop press if You have the room for the bigger footprint.

Regards,
Sam

Latest posts

Back