Ultrasonic Bath/cleaner for electronic parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37518

Hey guys can you recommend me an ultrasonic cleaner around 150-300 dolars? im mostly planning on using it for old switches, pots etc... but it would be nice to use it on old pcbs and bigger parts too.

Is it better to get the heated or unheated cleaner?

Thanks!

Not sure on unheated/heated, but I will add, make sure that it's not a single frequency ultrasonic.

there's a lot of info online about fixed frequency ultrasonic baths potentially causing bond wires inside IC's breaking.

I haven't talked to folks here (at TI) about it, but if you do have the option of a variable frequency ultrasonic, it'd be the safer option.

/Dafydd

I hadn't hear about the fixed frequency thing!

I use mine for cleaning decades of filth from old gear. One thing I would say is that the smallest / cheapest ones tend to burn out quickly when used heavily.

My current one has a heater, but mostly I just make a cup of tea and then top up the bath with the kettle...

Cheers!

Stewart

I have always used jewelry cleaners, you can find them at a garage sale or Goodwill for under $5. Not big enough most PCBs but perfect for switches, knobs, connectors... I have yet to see one die, I have one over 10 years and still going strong.

I did a little more research on the web regarding the fixed vs. variable frequency issue.

Looks like it was an issue 50 years ago with leaded components (e.g. diodes etc) in military applications, but may not be quite so bad any more, especially wiht folks moving to SMD. (the resonant frequency is much higher).

Cheers

/R

Thanks every one for your opinions. Good to know the frequency is no longer a problem, although to be fair a lot of the stuff i clean is very old, so might still be a problem.

Any particular brand/model you guys recommend?

Back