A=432? vs A=440

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably about a year ago now, my band buddies and I decided to try tuning with A=432hz reference. It was really an eye opener for us, we never looked back. Everything immediately felt better, the amount of sustain and the overall intensity we could achieve was immediately noticeable. I know that there is a ton of debate over this, and I couldn't care less about the science or myth or conspiracy theories behind it all. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the instruments being used and what you are doing with them. Bottom line is that we tried it for ourselves, found it to be way more pleasing than 440, and we've stuck with it ever since. To each his own.

Wow. Where's the bong?  That seems way down the rabbit hole. 

Some historical disagreement seen here; lots of standards were higher than 440:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch

I seem to remember a push to officially move to 444 in the late 1980's, appears that went nowhere. 

Oh, and just to add - We tried it after reading the same article that you sited. We also looked at another article written by a well known conspiracy theorist (whose name I can't remember at the moment) that linked the adoption of the A=440 Hz standard to the US gov't and the Rockefeller Foundation's combined efforts to propagate acoustic warfare and mind control. A much more amusing read, I'll post a link if I come across it again.

emrr said:
Wow. Where's the bong?  That seems way down the rabbit hole. 

If that was in response to what I said - I'll repeat: We tried it for ourselves, we liked it better for what we do, we stuck with it. Who cares about any mumbo jumbo explanations behind the idea.

If that was in response to the article - Then I agree. But don't be trash-talking my bong over this...

If you're happy tune to whatever pitch you want... I couldn't read past that first paragraph before my BS alarms started going off.  If there is an ounce of truth in there somewhere they didn't lead with it, and I couldn't read far enough in to find any. 

The whole math behind note spacing is less than neat, and folks have been messing with this for a very long time. 

Do what works for you, but don't dismiss the time and thought that went into the system we have. 

JR

A lot of pseudo-scientific BS.
Stevie Ray didn't think about it when he tuned a half-step down (416Hz), neither Kurt Cobain who tuned a full step below at 392Hz.

Examining ancient instruments has shown that the pitch of A has changed over the years by at least a half-tone.
Church organs: the pitch varies by about 1.5% between 15 and 22°C (59-72°F), making your 440 vary from 443 to 437.

JohnRoberts said:
I couldn't read past that first paragraph before my BS alarms started going off. 

Ditto!

I couldn't stop laughing at the "Emotions" and "Concentrate on your senses of awareness". To my taste that Silent Night "rendition" was horrific in any pitch.

The line:

Studies done by Maria remold conclusively proves A=440Hz tuned music can cause anti-social conditions in human beings, partly  from the dissonance created as standing waves in the inner chambers of the ear which may affect the water in the inner ear.

Reminds me this one:

YuckyJazz.jpg

Best, M

If you want a hilarious read on A=440, then this is the one, by Leonard G. Horowitz:

http://www.kanduka.com/musical-history-and-cult-control-by-leonard-g-horowitz/

I know it's hard, but try to make it through this article, it's almost worth the laugh.

i've been hearing about this for a while now...

right after the 'really?, wow..' of it  i think about several issues that make some of
what they are saying seem unlikely.

if everyone was the same size, density, and shape...inside and out, there could be something to it.

if there is an 8% difference in the size/resonant frequency of the inner ear from person to person, that
would blow it for this theory, wouldn't it?

the size of the marimba err... bones, and their density...different frequencies for each person.

that being said,    i've been thinking of trying it... :-\

It is readily apparent  from a simple mathematical analysis that A=444Hz and A=432 Hz are  harmonically related and both, reportedly, therapeutic. Prove the  harmony yourself by simply subtracting 432 from 444. It yields 12; where  1+2=3 in Pythagorean math. Now take 528 and subtract 444 and you also  get 12, or 3. Next, take 528 and subtract 432 to get 96; where 9+6=15;  and 1+5=6. This result is identical to 5+2+8=15 or 6.
The fascination with our fingers seems to never die.

Assuming this theory is right, that would've been enough to get rid of all terrorists on planet earth with a simple performance of Beethoven 5th, with Berliner Philharmonic (tuned to 'evil' 443). At least it would make them (the terrorists) feel grossly uncomfortable...

Best, M

Do you people realize that 440 people attended the funeral of Abraham Lincoln -- and NOT ONE of those people is alive today???

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Peace,
Paul

1954U1 said:
It is readily apparent  from a simple mathematical analysis that A=444Hz and A=432 Hz are  harmonically related and both, reportedly, therapeutic. Prove the  harmony yourself by simply subtracting 432 from 444. It yields 12; where  1+2=3 in Pythagorean math. Now take 528 and subtract 444 and you also  get 12, or 3. Next, take 528 and subtract 432 to get 96; where 9+6=15;  and 1+5=6. This result is identical to 5+2+8=15 or 6.
The fascination with our fingers seems to never die.
Not to mention that "second" is an arbitrary unit, too.
Incredible amount of self-unaware anthropocentrism in this theory.

I'm pretty sure it has been documented that the standard agreed upon frequency for A has risen since the 1700s when the 12-tone scale was tempered by Beethoven and co.  I'll see if I can dig up the info that says back in those days A was typically around 415hz, and gradually grew higher to make the music sound "brighter"

ah, found it: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pitch_standards_in_Western_music#History_of_pitch_standards_in_Western_music

back in the 1700s, it was between A = 409hz and 422.5hz

Thanks for the link but did you read the article?  ;)

For example, a tuning fork associated with Handel, dating from 1740, is pitched at A = 422.5 Hz, (info) while a later one from 1780 is pitched at A = 409 Hz, (info) almost a semitone lower.[2] Nonetheless, there was a tendency towards the end of the 18th century for the frequency of the A above middle C to be in the range of 400 (info) to 450 Hz. (info)

Latest posts

Back