guitar with built in auto tune

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a VG88 by roland I bought quite a few years ago.  It has a lot of the features as far as modeling .  It does not auto tune however but will allow you to change tuning and go to open chords.    It has a place but I find when I play it for a while I have to get back to a more real or organic sound and play straight into an amp with normal guitar no modeling.  I'm sure this would have the same issues and feel fake at times after awhile. 

It looks like a GK roland pickup from the video.    And you still need chops to pull it off. 
Its just the way of marketing.  Creating something that will make you better than who you are.  Like thats a problem.  You don't fall as much for it the older you get.  Its always targeted to the younger person who will buy into it. 

deuce42 said:
I honestly have a sense of despair for things like this. Really, what does it say about us as supposably creative people.

That progress comes from surprising places perhaps. No point auto-dissing this one just because.

I've just finished my DIY version!

Home made hexaphonic pickup....

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

Breakout box, record into 6 channels.

DSC00010.jpg

Add a protools amp simulator...

Protoolz20130104.jpg

Here's a G Major...

http://www.xaudia.com/omnip/StereoPickup/Gmaj_Eleven2.mp3

And autotune each channel to A major...

http://www.xaudia.com/omnip/StereoPickup/GmajtoAmaj2.mp3

And even A minor...

http://www.xaudia.com/omnip/StereoPickup/GmajtoAmin2.mp3

OK, sounds kind of glitchy as it slides up to the right pitch, but that's Autotune for you!

;D

Zebra50,  Guitar looks cool and you have a 13pin out.  Do you have some roland Gear as well?  I like the piezo sound for getting an Acoustic sound out of you Electric 6string.  Steve Morse does wonders with it sounding like he's playing these amazing acoustic guitar runs and he's doing it all on his electric. 

Auto tune thur a normal interface is just not fast enough.  If you turn it up to react fast it sounds synthesized and if you slow it down it glitches with  a swooping pitch shift.  Still Its here and people will use it to do new things.  I wonder what Hendrix would have written with out a fuzz face back in 66.

Hey Fazer,

The output on this is actually a seven pin XLR. The pickup does have 6 independent pairs plus ground, but I haven't found any nice flexible 12 core wire for the lead. So for now all the negative wires are tied to ground, and the whole thing runs unbalanced like a normal guitar.

The autotune is just a bit of fun really in response to the title of the thread, and you can get some silly sounds out of it! 

I don't have any of the Roland stuff - have never tried a guitar synth except one of the old Yamaha Midi guitars which was fun, but not really a guitar.

Cheers!

Kingston said:
deuce42 said:
I honestly have a sense of despair for things like this. Really, what does it say about us as supposably creative people.

That progress comes from surprising places perhaps. No point auto-dissing this one just because.

And I take your point about new progress stimulating other forms of creativity - but I am genuinely and legitimately expressing my despair at replacing the human aspect of the connection between instrument and artist and actually my own naive foray into the GR30 years ago made me learn this. If other's can derive incredible creativity with new tech gear like this, all power to them and I respect this. I just feel it's not my take on artistic expression and messing about for a few years on my old roland version sidelined me from creating what I feel is more human music.

For what it's worth, this very experience and my consequent despair is not "auto-dissing". It's actually my considered view. I accept and respect that many other people may have an alternative perspective.  I'm really not trying to persuade others. And I can also accept that throughout history new tech concepts have been embraced by great players to forge new styles and sounds. This is granted.

On another note, just for the sake of a philosophical discussion, whilst "auto dissing" might be a label easily and carelessly thrown at anybody who apparently resists technological/musical change or wants to live in the past, I actually find the opposite happens frequently too. This case may be an example. People "auto assume" that anyone not prepared to jump immediately onto the bandwagon of every new piece of technology are therefore dissing things merely the sake of it. Just consider for a moment that this assumption might be somewhat ironic. Accusing someone of "auto dissing" is akin to the accuser replacing this with their own"auto assumption" of the other person's perspective. In this respect it's just one automatic retort from someone replaced by another and ultimately it becomes the same narrow mindedness and naive thinking. Its easy to throw labels like "auto dissing", yet the accusers are merely "auto assuming" the naysayer's view. At least can you see my point?  Just food for thought.....

I see your Point deuce42. 

I got a GR30 many years ago and had a similar experience with it.  Midi Guitar is very much a disconnect from the guitar.  At best It allows a guitar composer to trigger other sounds to fit the composition.  It gets better every decade but I always go back to keyboard when I want those sounds for some reason. 

I find the same problem with 2 channel and 3 channel guitar amps.  They sound so different changing  from clean channel to dirty channel it never feels fluid to me.  I loose the touch of the instrument and constantly fool with the amp to fit in the band or track instead of adjust my guitar volume and my touch.

That Said, Modeling Guitar is a different animal.  It has a more direct feel than a synth guitar.  It still can have patches that have to many effects but the sound does not have the trigger delay and its built directly from the piezo pickup.  A VG 88 is a modeler box not a synth.  I would not want to give up my main guitar rig but it nice for some deep chorus and some distortion sounds.  I like it at times with my guitar rig sound blended. 

But I hear you about auto assuming things.  That always gets me in trouble or makes me a fool as the saying goes. 

deuce42 said:
At least can you see my point?

Yes I do. But your original post was posed as a rhetorical question with a negative bias.

I find all the anti-autotune bashing tired and basically so 1999. It's been like 15 years so let's get with the program and let the kids have their new toy.

I for one welcome our new robotic overlords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBSkq-_St8#!

Latest posts

Back