Hello! Happy to be here

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZigguratVertigo

Trained in radio and television repairing straight from school (City & Guilds) back in the day when valves were still king. Went on to playing in rock bands as a hobby, and of course modifying my amps and occasionally other peoples, as well as well as building fuzz boxes. Then I tried my hand as a full time musician, great fun but little money. Later on in life became a computer engineer. My interest these days are recording songs in my small studio, and quality recording gear. I never had much tuition about transistors at college and so have slowly formed a fascination with them, especially since the realization that firms in both the UK and US were building transistor mic pres and compressors whilst I was still in college, in the '60s. Also seeing how Neve products are so highly valued these days.
I believe transistors are called discrete components now?

I was a teenager in the 60s, building power amps and pirate radio transmitters using valves and experimenting with those newfangled transistor things. They are plenty of old geezers like us on here. Welcome to our happy place.

Cheers

Ian

Welcome! In early 1970's, when playing the electric guitar, a friend of mine could DIY transistor effect boxes. I sat for hours in his lab- chamber in the basement of the house when he was fiddling and soldering his way through new projects. I adored him so much for his knowledge and wisdom, he was way older than me, a teenager and I was just a little boy managing to hold an electric guitar and put some tones and riffs out of it. At hat time, transistor was the hot stuff, now things have changed. Old retro tube gear is the hot stuff and I'm glad to have learned to DIY myself.

Discrete Transistor circuits are a world of their own, having entered new territory with the much more advanced and sophisticated transistor circuits. I learned them by studying electronics and it was hard stuff. One can see clearly that the early transistor circuits used the same topology as tube circuits, they even still used output transformers. But it slowly became more advanced and a new design culture which evolved into the complex integrated circuits. Every technology has it's pros and cons but I'm glad we made such great progress. It's all evolutionary determined, nothing comes great in the beginning, everything has to be optimized.

Last edited:
I was a teenager in the 60s, building power amps and pirate radio transmitters using valves and experimenting with those newfangled transistor things. They are plenty of old geezers like us on here. Welcome to our happy place.

Cheers

Ian
Thank you, that's good news (y)

Back