VF-14

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellfireStudios

I was pondering tube mic circuits, as usual, and I had a question. Why has no modern tube manufacturer seen the market for a modern equivalent to some now discontinued/expensive tube types (the VF14 comes to mind)? Telefunken claims to have one, but they, of course, don't reveal which type of tube it is. Any thoughts? Does anyone know which tube Telefunken USA is referencing in their U-47 clone? Any better alternatives out there other than a 6072a?

-James-

There was a thread on klaus forum on the VF14k and the general consensus was that it was a 408a type tube with a dropping resistor. The construction looks very similar to the WE408a.
I guess if telefunken isn’t investing in producing a new metal tube the cost must be fairly great.
The last mic I build was with a EF800, but i think i'll try experimenting with the ef12k and 408a next.

-Ben

The new Telefunken USA builds mics not tubes, so they wouldn't have the manufacturing equipment needed to make new tubes. Interesting stuff, though. Has anyone tried them all out, and have a preference? Thanks.

-James-

Skyler actually has a very descriptive reason why, with pictures to demonstrate some of the technical parts of the inside of the tube that would be very difficult and expensive to recreat. I don't remember his explanation that well but I believe that those were the two main reasons. I think that he posted it in one of his u47 threads, if you want to run a search and dig it up.

HellfireStudios said:
The new Telefunken USA builds mics not tubes, so they wouldn't have the manufacturing equipment needed to make new tubes. Interesting stuff, though. Has anyone tried them all out, and have a preference? Thanks.

-James-

Ah yes i realise this. What I meant was Telefunken probably has the most reason and resources to pursue this endeavour. With Oliver selling them the original filament material and giving them the blue prints of the tube you would have thought they would have done some research into having them built. But they opt for a glass tube hidden in a metal body instead.

-Ben

MagnetoSound said:
benqbasic said:
... you would have thought they would have done some research into having them built.

Why do you assume they didn't do that?

They may have done the research, but haven't build a VF14. Fletcher has said they (TelefunkenUSA) have brought a few thousand glass tubes which they burn in and put into a metal jacket.
And in my view that is not having a VF14 built. It's a replacement which may or may not be the same as the original.
I have not heard the vf14k so am not in a position to say.

Telefunken

Please note that todays companies with 'Telefunken' in their name have nothing to do with Telefunken as you know it from the past. You can run a 'Telefunken blah blah' on your own. Check with TELEFUNKEN LICENSES GMBH in Frankfurt... :eek:

This can also be read on the german Wikipedia site - the US/english Wikipedia entry is not sufficiently precise here.
I wonder why? ???

Maybe because some people bought a licence to use the Telefunken name commercially and don't mention it on ther website. :mad: :-X

The VF 14

Putting a glass tube in a can, paint it black, let it run in the given environment by adding a resistor and call it VF 14-whatever has nothing to do with research. The burn-in process doesn't get those tubes closer to a VF14 either. In the end you are still putting another (glass) tube into an U47. But the interaction between Tube and Transformer will be different and is complex.

The same is with the VF14s that pop up on ebay occassionally:
Chances are extremely high that you are buying a tube that has been rejected by Neumann in the past already.
When was the last time you saw a VF14 with an M stamped on it???
Are you shure this stamp has not been faked???
Grossers VF14FET is based on a FET can not be bought separately - it is part of a U47 service from Mr. Grosser.
Manufacturing VF14 steel tubes again won't happen - the tools and machinery are gone, rebuiling them will be too expensive for a niche market as condeser microphones are. :'( (but who knows how prices will rise on those tubes...)

When it comes to VF14 tubes or variants for a U47 clone: SIMPLY FORGET IT!
(and please ignore all the marketing BS you read or hear).

Just built yourself one of the mics that are available on this forum.
You will be suprised how good i.e. a well done G7 will sound in comparison to the 'boutiqe mics' (that are based on old Neumann or AKG C12 designs, too).

In the end those Mics are not different to a clone built by you or me - except for better or professional look, depending on your time, money and skills.

BTW: Did you ever count all the condenser mics that claim to be cloned / inspired / further developed variants of a U47 these days when one of the key parts has not been available for more than 40 years? ::) ::) ::)

The cost would be insane, the demand incredibly low, and...

...when was the last time you found agreement on a modern 12AX7 sounding like a Mullard, Telefunken, or RCA? 

benqbasic said:
They may have done the research, but haven't build a VF14. Fletcher has said they (TelefunkenUSA) have brought a few thousand glass tubes which they burn in and put into a metal jacket.
And in my view that is not having a VF14 built. It's a replacement which may or may not be the same as the original.

Not only that, but it smells like deception on the part of management, imo. Did they point out that it wasn't an actual VF14?...despite if it was intended to fit the socket or not......no. Much like their chinese mic that was a grand more than the 'exact facsimile from the de-facto chinese company.

desol said:
benqbasic said:

Not only that, but it smells like deception on the part of management, imo. Did they point out that it wasn't an actual VF14?...despite if it was intended to fit the socket or not......no. Much like their chinese mic that was a grand more than the 'exact facsimile from the de-facto chinese company.

Agreed.

Latest posts

Back