FET condenser troubleshooting - sE Electronics X1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khron

Case in point:

SE Electronics X1, noisy/crackly.

I've tried cleaning the capsule (q-tip + IPA + gingerness), no gold flaked off or anything, and the diaphragm IS cleaner than before. Noise persists, though.

Circuit, oddly enough for a supposedly good-sounding mic with a K67-type capsule, looks to me like a Schoeps, minus the oscillator for increasing the capsule polarisation voltage. It might, though, have some RC-filtering around the FET - there's a couple of SMD ceramic caps around there, but i haven't bothered tracing the exact circuit.

Ideas? Replacing the FET, perhaps?

I'll give it a shot a bit later in the afternoon (it's 1pm here now). Until then, to me it sounded like sizzling and crackling and such, almost at the same level as normal speech, at a given gain setting.

It's been "a while", but at long last, i got around to solving this issue. One could say i threw the baby out with the bathwater, but only after electrolysis-ing all the hydrogen and oxygen out of said water.

It's a bit of a story, but it's all here: http://khronscave.blogspot.com/2017/05/se-electronics-se-x1-rebuild.html

Latest posts

Back