WSW siemens line driver amp( leitungverstarker) 1966 2x4.5 V batteries!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peeping tom

Hi,
I recently bought one interesting WSW preamp(K.Nr.811602).I have pictures of it.It's something like line driver used in radio.The unit works, but when not speaking on the mic the noise raises and then again when making sounds on the microphone the noise disapiers???I'm wondering is there a chance this pre to have build in compressor or something like that?I can't find nothing in the network about this device.It uses 2x 4.5 V batteries(it's some kind of portable device)I have pictures!! Sounds really good next to my GAP 73 MKII. It has more character and interesting mids.It's germanium and has beutiful transformers! Can't find schematic.What can be the reason for this noise?Can I fix it?( I have some skills)

photos here:

http://s85.photobucket.com/user/mihailsivanov/media/_IGP8270_zps11b04dde.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I think I found schematic witch is very close to the one I'm searching for!

http://s85.photobucket.com/user/mihailsivanov/media/WSW_811481_p01-02_zps1e4c2edb.jpg.html

The number of the transistors and the diods look the same(exept the model), also the values of the caps( i think) .So maybe I can convert the circuit from 9V DC to 24V DC ? What do you think guyes?Help me!
And the problems with the noise could it be because old noisy resistors, or old dry condensors? It's strange because the noise is not permanent. It's present olnly when not making sounds on the microphone!!!I will appreciate any help!
Thanks!

Schematic says "Dynamik-regelter Kommando-verstarker", German for Dynamics-controlled talkback amplifier.

So it has a built-in AGC - gain probably controlled by the diodes GL3-4-5-6.

I bet it'll sound great on drum ambience

Sidechain is fed from an auxiliary winding on the output transformer - and lifting GL9 and GL10 will probably disable gain reduction if you want that.

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
Schematic says "Dynamik-regelter Kommando-verstarker", German for Dynamics-controlled talkback amplifier.

Sidechain is fed from an auxiliary winding on the output transformer - and lifting GL9 and GL10 will probably disable gain reduction if you want that.

Jakob E.

Thanks Jakob!
My pre is made to work on 9V because is used for radio interviews( I think) but otherwise look the same on the inside.So you'r saying that I can make this pre work with variable gain?Can you give me more details, please!( I'm not so advansed in electronics)
What do you think about converting my pre to 24V DC ?

http://s85.photobucket.com/user/mihailsivanov/media/_IGP8272_zpsddc0b984.jpg.html

(Photos)

Thank you very much!
Mihail

Now I'm thinking about chainging the resistors from the original circuit (made to work with 9 VDC) with the one I found (the same circuit but made to work with 24 VDC) so I can run it on 24VDC. Would this "conversion"upgrade the sound quallity of the pre???I checked the schematic very carefully and I'm pretty shure it's the same like the 9 V DC version I have except the resistors values are different. Any suggestions???

I have one more stupid question :eek: Can you guys tell me where is the gain potentiometer in this schematic( pls see my other posts in this topic!) I suspect this "A, B, C, section next to R10 and Rx(can't see the number of it) Here 's the schematic once again:

http://s85.photobucket.com/user/mihailsivanov/media/WSW_811481_p01-02_zps1e4c2edb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

peeping tom said:
gyraf said:

Jakob E.

I want to be able to turn the gain reduction on and off :) What do you think about that? Is it possible to be done with this circuit with switch or something? Pls. excuse my illiteracy! I'm trying to learn from you guys!
Best regards!

Back