Transformer rewinding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nashkato

Hi

Are there people/companies in Europe that are able to rewind / repair a burnt Transfomer ?
It´s a heavy powertransformer for a 100W tube amp .
(of course a PM to CJ was the first thing i did , but shipping would be really really expensive )

I am happy to help from this end but I do not think it is worth shipping the old transformer. A new core will be cheaper than the shipping cost.

Give me the voltage and current ratings and I'll get a new one made for you. I use Avel Lindberg.

Thanks for the offer !
Avel Lindberg do toroids only as far as i can see on their page .
There are several , propably cheaper options nearby like  Germany / Poland etc .

It´s not just the correct V/A ratings that made me think about rewinding the old core , but primarily the core-measurements of the EI-Core  and with that the ability to fit the transformer onto the chassis (which aren´t very common anymore these days ) without having to drill any holes.

nashkato said:
Are there people/companies in Europe that are able to rewind / repair a burnt Transfomer ?
It´s a heavy powertransformer for a 100W tube amp .

Yes of course,
and big power  transformers are easier to Rewind than smaller transformers.
In every city there's a person that does that.

If you want to send it to me in Portugal I have my transformer guy rewind it, normally it costs between 30 to 60 euros, deepening on the transformer, but he always estimates the repair price before.

But before doing that I would try to rewind it locally.
Go to electronic components stores and ask for the contact of someone that rewinds transformers,
ask the same thing in your locals electronic equipment repair stores, also in music instrument store dealers,  they will have the contact of someone near you that does the job.

I´d do that in a second if i wouldn´t live in " electronic and music desert" .
The nearest electronics or music store is a 1.5 hour drive away .

However the transformer is at a local motor and transformer winding company right now , i´m waiting on their reply .
i was quite surprised when they told me that they´d have to examine it and would call me  :eek:
they do that kind of thing professionally and don´t know if they could do it ?
i´m thinking more along the line that they don´t want to do single , small , private thingies.

nashkato said:
I´d do that in a second if i wouldn´t live in " electronic and music desert" .
The nearest electronics or music store is a 1.5 hour drive away .

However the transformer is at a local motor and transformer winding company right now , i´m waiting on their reply .
i was quite surprised when they told me that they´d have to examine it and would call me  :eek:
they do that kind of thing professionally and don´t know if they could do it ?
i´m thinking more along the line that they don´t want to do single , small , private thingies.

What section was toasted on the transformer, primaries or secondaries?

They have to examine it because they are probably used to other types of transformers and need to see what you have. Also have and estimate of the wire used and a rough idea of the number of turns.

I'm sure in Vienna you would have much more choices in terms of rewind workshops, it would be better if you rewind it with someone that is used to rewind Guitar tube amp transformers.
What I would do is get some contacts in Vienna for rewind and post the transformer there, at least it would not be expensive compared to shipping it abroad.

> In every city there's a person that does that.

This seems to be more true in less-wealthy areas. Or behind tax walls.

In the US, 99% of failed transformers are tossed. Small tranny fixers are hard to find. In my rural area, we do have a Starter-Alternator fixer for our old trucks and tractors, but he stocks the big 20-Amp++ wire and may have few choices of small wire, and may not be good at counting large numbers of turns.

OTOH, Brazil wants to grow a local power transformer industry by taxing import iron 100%. And the average income is lower in that area. I hear that indeed there is a transformer fixer on every third street. As high-tech work goes, this is quite low-tech. With ample supply of dead trannies, a smart man could earn a good living by fixing cheaper and faster than the client could buy.

Rewinding a 100W PT is fairly simple, though a lot of time, especially the first time. If you can carefully spool-off the existing wire, you can probably cut-out several feet of toast and splice it together with negligible voltage difference. You probably need new CJ-tape (electrical paper, Nomex, Formvar), and maybe a pound of fine wire if a whole winding is burnt or you can't manage the snarl.

he has a old Orange script amp from the 70's  that has some vintage resale value worth preserving, (ie-no drilling chassis for aftermarket iron) Mercury is pretty pricey and shipping iron is expensive as it usually goes over 2.5 lbs which is past the limit  for first class, so 50 to 60 bucks is the norm on a medium flat rate box to Europe,

one option would be to de-laminate over there and send the coil over here, which probably weighs less than 2.5 lbs, but you need a heat gun or toaster oven and some determination,

that will be a layered paper job for that xfmr so a nylon bobbin will be needed, possibly a hack and tape job if it is non standard (sq stack)

Well I'm sure in Vienna there's someone experienced rewinding tube amp transformers.
But if not I know contacts in Germany and Serbia, not too far from Austria.

pm me in case you need them

Back