Question: how to solder RCA connector

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100WChris

Hi!
Sorry, this is probably a stupid question, but is there a "correct" way to solder shield to those types of RCA-connectors shown in the picture?
D72_1923.jpg

I solder the shield in the black arrow I drawn  in photo.
I use a file tool do scratch a bit of the connector's metal so that solder can easily stick to it.
I've seen some people not soldering the shield to those connectors at all, they just push it back inside the tunnel so they make contact with the metal. I'm not a fan of non soldered connectors so I always solder my shields

Hi Whoops.
thank you for the tipps!
I wrote a mail to the support at somercable and they told me the same thing: shield should be soldered to the housing…
So you are right  ;D
Thanks!!
Chris

100WChris said:
Hi Whoops.
thank you for the tipps!
I wrote a mail to the support at somercable and they told me the same thing: shield should be soldered to the housing…
So you are right  ;D
Thanks!!
Chris

lolololololol
Really???

If it was not soldered to the housing where would it be?

lololol

:eek: lol
ähhh...sure…  sorry for my bad english :)
I thought maybe those two "bridges" are for soldering the shield.
But the way you did it, soldering it into the "bowl" seems to be the "right" way.
8)
Chris

I do it like this: I put some solder on the 'bridge' first.
Then I put some solder on the shield of the cable.
The cable goes inside the connector, I solder the inner wire and then (quickly!) solder the shield to the 'bridge'.
(The more high-end connectors, the more difficult to solder...)

RuudNL said:
I do it like this: I put some solder on the 'bridge' first.
Then I put some solder on the shield of the cable.
The cable goes inside the connector, I solder the inner wire and then (quickly!) solder the shield to the 'bridge'.
(The more high-end connectors, the more difficult to solder...)

Thank you, thats nice. I will try to solder in the bridge in the future, it seems it's better than the way I have been doing.

sorry, i dont get it  :(
why do i have to be quick when soldering the shield?
Thanks  :)
Chris

Latest posts

Back