How to solder a new plug for a Sony lavalier microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubxf

Today I thought I was going to do a quick replacement of a plug at the end of a Sony lavalier microphone cable and got stumped.
I prepped the ends and only the shield took solder, the copper on the other 2 wires doesn't take solder. Are they enameled like transformer wire ?
If so they are so thin how would you prep them?

Usually wires like that respond to a solder pot; after a few seconds in the pot, the coating will melt off and the wire will then tin. I've even done it with just large blob of solder resting on a flat, chisel soldering iron tip.

Got it working (following your advice Thank you) but what a PITA. I wonder why they make so unfriendly cables.

Could very well be, how would you crimp the wire to a TA5 plug ? or do you crimp a pin and solder the pin to the plug ?

As mentioned, a solder pot or a blob of solder may remove the coating, but you could also use a lighter to burn off the protective layer and then add some teflon or shrink over the newly-bare wire. This is common for Sony MDRxx headphone cable as well as lavalier mic cable.

For some solid (not stranded) audio cables, like OCC copper, there is an enamel coating on the wire that can be removed with a solder pot, sandpaper, or a gentle swipe with a Dremel.

Latest posts

Back