r.i.p. Allan Holdsworth

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great player.  I remember seeing him in about 1981 I had food poisoning, but went to the gig anyway because it was rare to have a hiim do a local gig at the time.  I had to be at the back near the "facilities".    Possibly one of my favourite albums he's on is Bruford "one of a kind".  But I also like his playing on Gazeuse by Gong.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XcfKHiWEN4

Anyone remember those little records than would come in the middle of Guitar Player magazine? That's where I heard Allan Holdsworth solo. Then it occurred to me "hey, I heard that guy on a Jean Luc Ponty record called Enigmatic Ocean".

He got the closest to Ornette Coleman's outside playing while still staying melodic and musical of almost anyone I ever heard, certainly any guitarist for sure. And his chordal stuff simply blew my mind. Underappreciated writer too.  So happy to have seen him a few times, especially in the "Metal Fatigue" days.  Speaking of, listening to Metal Fatigue right now.....

Such a nice guy to a few geeky college kid fans in Rochester back in the early 80's.  Really humble.  He played like a dream through a humming amp that night and I still have the cass
Such a unique player!  RIP

AusTex64 said:
Anyone remember those little records than would come in the middle of Guitar Player magazine? That's where I heard Allan Holdsworth solo.

That Guitar Player flexidisc was how I first heard Holdsworth. Bought the "I. O. U." record right away,

Latest posts

Back