Why you need at least two computers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's also possible to install grub on a USB stick, set to boot from a partition on a fixed HDD, right? That would be the most minimally invasive installation he can do.

Perhaps. I think ease of use is as much a requirement as invasiveness, so I wouldn't have recommended a non-standard setup for the bootloader.
My preferred approach would be to use the BIOS boot selection to dual boot, and have Ubuntu on a completely separate drive. Disconnect the Windows disk entirely so it can't be accidentally written to, install Ubuntu on a new drive, then reconnect, and use the BIOS to choose which drive / OS to boot from.

I installed a dual boot on my laptop. Installing ubuntu on an existing windows drive is quite easy, but do backup your windows first.

The hardest part as I remember has been to migrate my oem w10 license to the new ssd first. And then to uninstall all windows crap. So it took me at least a day to set up a windows boot that I barelly use (only for live sound utilities like setting up amps dsp...) while ubuntu took something like 10 minutes for a system that I use every day.

Go figure...

Thomas

Another option to test the waters is to install VirtualBox. Then download ISOs and install whatever OS you want as virtual machines. It won't mess anything up on your main system, a great way to test drive a bunch of stuff, and then easily delete what don't like.

Running Debian since 1999, it was a pretty steep learning curve. 486DX4, 128Mb RAM, 1 boot floppy and 13 other floppies got me a black screen with a flashing cursor. Felt like being back in 1982. Turns out it was the only OS with integrity. It was able to connect to a dial-up server, all command-line.
Three nights of downloading on a 56K modem through the phone system at work (data was expensive back then) and weeks of setting up config-files and selecting apps in ASCII-graphics interfaces, supported by the gracious geeks on the debian mailing-list. The joy and pride of a working GUI.
Later, I built a fanless PentiumII. Never switched it off in a year. That was outrageous in 2001...

These days, it's a whole other deal. I've forgotten most of the bash I learned back then. Install is a 45min deal, everything just works. And I've also almost forgotten the tedium of Windows, the nagging, the wait for updates, the virus-scare. Linux updates while I'm doing other stuff, it has memory integrity, never crashes, is immune to vira and other nasties.

Using the last good Thinkpads: X220 as daily runner (2011) and a luggable W540 for the bigger screen. Tried a few newer models: flimsy screens, shoddy build, keyboards fall apart. But that's a whole other rant...

Cheers, happy New Year!

Latest posts

Back