4 channels of analog connecions down cat5/6/ shielded.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually that's being going on for quite a while. With balanced audio you don't even need shielding for most applications, because the twisting in modern category cable is so good.

Steve Lampen @ Belden, wrote about using Cat5 for analog audio in his 2002 book.
This is a newer Belden Blog on the subject.

http://www.belden.com/blog/broadcastav/The-Strange-World-of-Cat-5e-and-Cat-6.cfm

JohnRoberts said:
When did Dave Rat start selling gear? He is a well known live sound engineer.

He's been selling little gizmos for a few years now, like the "sniffer/sender" mic cable test pair. 

To go with those breakin/breakout boxes they're now even starting to sell their own Cat7 cables.

Talk about re-inventing the wheel.

The BBC were sending music around London using PCM on twisted pair circuits in the late 1960s and 70s.  If you take the loading coil off the line, you're good up to at least a couple of MHz over quite a distance.

Cheers

Mike

JohnRoberts said:
The ancients are always stealing our new ideas.

JR
cursed ancients!  I had a concept for a perfectly round object with a dowel through it for rolling.
:eek:
Then I saw it...they even came up with a name...."The Wheel"

on topic, it looks like a nice compact little gadget. I don't know if some of my studio/stage buddies know about it.
small/out of site wiring is nice.

Latest posts

Back