How to Balance SSL Power Supply Units

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigbenis27

Hey Everybody!!

So I've been rebuilding an SSL Power Supply Unit for a few weeks now and i've written in several times, got some awesome advice and now i'm just about finished building it!! Here in a few weeks i'll be ready to power the sucker back on and pop the console breakers back in and see if it all works! But before I do that I would like to balance the electrical loads between the two PSUs as i believe an unbalanced load is what blew out the +/-20 power rails on the unit i've been fixing and it is also recommended to do this in the SSL manual that goes with the Power Supply. So has anyone out there done this before? I'm told it is just two screws that are tweaked in both units but i don't even know where these screws would be located and i cannot seem to find this info anywhere on the web. Any help, advice or just point in the right direction would be very very much appreciated!! Thank you guys in advance for any help you can offer!

Tony

Wasn't it something like: turning on as many channels as one psu can comfortably supply (24 / 32?), turning on and adjusting only one of the fully installed psus including leads and changeover to exactly +/- 18 V measured at the center section and repeating the procedure for the second psu? Probably recheck a few times after the console was on for a while.

Michael

That is correct.
Are you in possession of a complete service manual? The calibration procedure is in there.
I am assuming you are working on a 661 (4k-6k). If you fully rebuilt it you should have replaced the output filter caps, the are under the regulator cards, and the regulator trims are next to the regulator card slot connectors on the motherboard. Like most things on this unit, they are a PIA to deal with.
If you really want to make your life easier, remote the trims and power test points to the front panel...

Back