DIY mic audio examples?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you browse through the relevant threads, i'm sure there are plenty of linked / attached clips.

But then again, in those cases, you can't be 100% certain how much of what you're hearing is the mic, and how much is the source (imho) ;D

What microphone?  What do you want to do with the microphone?

As you note, there are a multitude of DIY mics you can tinker with.  The big question is what are you trying to do?  Is this a fun project, or just trying to save money, or is it to fill a gap in your studio?

Also, there is the question of budget.  Many of us here are into replicating mics to the finest detail, because this is a fun hobby.  Others are just very serious about recording and are looking for the sound in an affordable way.

I write songs and want to record them at the highest possible fidelity.  I'm not a commercial studio operator, but I have a good job and want to invest to improve my home studio.  Building my own stuff allows me to trade my time and a smaller amount of money for high end gear I could in no way dream of affording by buying the real stuff, so all of my opinions are colored by this goal.

Some of these projects get to be as expensive or more expensive than buying some decent manufactured mics.  Also, what is your level of DIY experience?

rockinrob86 said:
What microphone?  What do you want to do with the microphone?

As you note, there are a multitude of DIY mics you can tinker with.  The big question is what are you trying to do?  Is this a fun project, or just trying to save money, or is it to fill a gap in your studio?

Also, there is the question of budget.  Many of us here are into replicating mics to the finest detail, because this is a fun hobby.  Others are just very serious about recording and are looking for the sound in an affordable way.

I write songs and want to record them at the highest possible fidelity.  I'm not a commercial studio operator, but I have a good job and want to invest to improve my home studio.  Building my own stuff allows me to trade my time and a smaller amount of money for high end gear I could in no way dream of affording by buying the real stuff, so all of my opinions are colored by this goal.

Some of these projects get to be as expensive or more expensive than buying some decent manufactured mics.  Also, what is your level of DIY experience?

I'm a professional touring musician and music professor with a few decades of experience recording and teaching recording classes. I own several very nice mics and build my own preamps and outboard gear. Our studio also has the general assortment of Neumann, AKG, Peluso, Earthworks, Shure, Audio Technica, yada, yada, an API 1608 console, and all the name brand outboard gear that you would expect (1176, TubeTech, SSL, Manley, etc.)

Introductions aside...

Who has built a good mic that they like, and do you have any sound samples? As I mentioned, I've heard lots of folks talk about the Gyraf, but I have yet to find any audio samples.

I enjoy building the mic circuits at http://vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/

Specifically, this project is really nice starting point:  https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=61057.0

As for actual kits that have everything included, https://microphone-parts.com/collections/microphone-kits  has some solid kits - however, these mics are not as good as the stuff it sounds like you already have if you're running an API board.  They are fine microphones and much better than budget stuff under a grand I would say.

My personal take is why reinvent the wheel with newer designs, other than if you're into circuit design/testing.  For my particular itch, clones work very well.

You keep mentioning the Gyraf - that is an older project, and I think especially around here many have moved on to the vintagemicrophonepcbkit projects. 

store.studio939.com is also a good resource for parts

Your other big variable is capsule choice (Chinese, Campbell, Beezneez, Heiserman, Poctop, Thiersch, Maiku, etc) and transformers (Cinemag, Jensen, AMI, Haufe, OEP, Lundhaul) which will all significantly impact the tone of the microphone.

concerning the Gyraf Mic. From the schematics it looks more like a modern Brauner style mic. I. I like mics which are modified clone. Relatively close to a mic I like and know but don't try to be a Neumann without the badge.

But recordings won't really help you as mic placement, room and player are so significant that it won't help. I have a piano recording with a robot played steinway, with two sort of elam 251 clones and one m49oid. This probably more an example why it so difficult to judge  a mic quality from the recording. Nevertheless I am confident that with patience and still a damn lot of money you can build yourself a mic which compares well to the best  mics existing.
https://wolke7.grandprixdamour.com/index.php/s/RpsXEYoMqZEIsBJ

Dan,

This is an film soundtrack  I produced and engineered a couple of  years, it was all done with AKG C12 clones I built myself.

I've since built U47 and various other styles, I've have plenty of experience with the real things too. Microphones are just about the simplest electronics gets, now there are a number of first rate capsule and transformer builders and plenty of access to high grade tubes there is no reason that you can't build a mic every bit as good as the classic. The same? Maybe not. As good? For sure

I'm working on a new album with the same artist at the moment - should be out the early part of next year :)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6btq2NUuVbhpuhV6lP9omf

Back