Antelope Audio Edge Note - Swapping capsule (Omni)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosski

Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. I have 2 Antelope Audio Edge Note microphones that I've been thinking of using for sound design and field recording. They've been great, but I've been considering changing their capsules, which are cardioid to omni capsules for better outdoor recordings.

Does anyone have any recommendations on capsules that could be a straight swap for these, or would it involve a bit of tinkering and DIY?

Any advice insights or recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time. :coffee:

Attachments

• 20231022_070240.jpg
    20231022_070240.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231022_070313.jpg
    20231022_070313.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • note.jpg
    note.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • notefr.jpg
    notefr.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231022_070056.jpg
    20231022_070056.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. I have 2 Antelope Audio Edge Note microphones that I've been thinking of using for sound design and field recording. They've been great, but I've been considering changing their capsules, which are cardioid to omni capsules for better outdoor recordings.

Does anyone have any recommendations on capsules that could be a straight swap for these, or would it involve a bit of tinkering and DIY?

Any advice insights or recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time. :coffee:
To me that looks like re-branded Behringer C2 microphones (produced by 797 audio). You can try bying C2 mics, and then modifying the capsules by sealing the holes on the back of the capsules with epoxy. That will turn them into omnis. Or you can find omni equivalent of TSB-160a (which is in your mics), and swap them.

Here are some images and the holes you could seal.

Attachments

• 20231022_161718.jpg
    20231022_161718.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231022_161538.jpg
    20231022_161538.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231022_161526.jpg
    20231022_161526.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231022_161519.jpg
    20231022_161519.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
you could simply wrap around the air ducts on the side of the capsule with some heavy tape just to see if you achieve something similar to what you are looking for. If it sounds good then I believe as kingkorg says, these are from 797 audio. Just get one of their omnis.

Last edited:
To me that looks like re-branded Behringer C2 microphones (produced by 797 audio). You can try bying C2 mics, and then modifying the capsules by sealing the holes on the back of the capsules with epoxy. That will turn them into omnis. Or you can find omni equivalent of TSB-160a (which is in your mics), and swap them.

Here are some images and the holes you could seal.
wow that's interesting!!. I'm going to try get hold of 2nd hand C2's and also look into the omni equivalents you mentioned.
I'm starting to see a pattern in regards of modelling microphones using 797 audio capsules. are they the go to for manufacturers due to cost or is it for quality or to achieve a desired result for modelling?
you could simply wrap around the air ducts on the side of the capsule with some heavy tape just to see if you achieve something similar to what you are looking for. If it sounds good then I believe as kingkorg says, these are from 797 audio. Just get one of their omnis.
Really!!? I'm doing that right now!! I'm all in for experimenting :geek:. Also if I may ask did you help design the Antelopes modelling mics? Also I have read about your capsules and works which I find fascinating combined with the knowledge and works of many on here.

With how things have been lately in regards of short format content, social media and interests Its hard for the younger generation to learn and find such skills and knowledge as yours and all others here unless having that drive in pursuing to find it amongst the many other distractions....

Even at my university the modules related to microphones, capsules and etc.. i have learnt a vast amount from group diy and research whether by reading threads, schematics and projects that now my tutors are interested in "new technology" as they still believe microphone modelling stopped at Antares!!.

Regardless they're experience and ears are invaluable as one tutor was a tech engineer for the late Bruce Swedien and i hope to share with him whats emerged since Antares.

are they the go to for manufacturers due to cost or is it for quality or to achieve a desired result for modelling?
Both. Very long in the game, consistent, serious company, long history of manufacturing for many large and small companies... When it comes to modeling most important thing is consistency so there's minimal variation between the capsules.

Both. Very long in the game, consistent, serious company, long history of manufacturing for many large and small companies... When it comes to modeling most important thing is consistency so there's minimal variation between the capsules.
many thanks for the insight! This makes me confident in choosing a 797 capsule for my 1st mic build as i remember someone mentioned the Behringer B2-pro has the CY002 797 capsule. If this is correct then i can source a cheap donor mic for a starter project just in case it goes wrong.

I worked directly with Igor to design the Antelope LDC mics.
wow that's amazing.. well I'm honoured n grateful for your help and @kingkorg.. wish i could explain how much means to me. 🙏

I have been interested a lot in antelopes equipment in fact my reason of field recording is because of Nikolay Georgiev (antelope audio uk ambassador) i remember watching a video where he visits a cave and records the impulse response and uses the captured reverb on a vocal. that amazed me and drew me into wanting to understand convolution and Impulses more.

Latest posts

Back