Jensen Transformer Factory

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i offered to take them apart for free but no deal.

did you see the Scotch M94 tape machine?

Attachments

• Factory-Tour-16.jpg
    Factory-Tour-16.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 47
A fascinating insight into transformer manufacture but somehow I expected their operation to be a little bigger than that.

Cheers

Ian

"Careful attention to detail at every stage
"Wire lead transfromers ready for laminations"

user 37518 said:
Interesting to see that everyone in the production line is a woman

That's what the Langevin factory pics look like in the early '60's too.  All the soldering people at Western Electric were also women. 

emrr said:
That's what the Langevin factory pics look like in the early '60's too.  All the soldering people at Western Electric were also women.

Is there a reason why? a finer touch?

dexterity, attention to detail
This is true.
Women are better at fine repetitive work, they made all the tubes too.

How many men can knit?  Women can do this stuff on auto pilot while they chat to their neighbours.

They are better wired for multitasking than men.

They were paid less because they were not the main breadwinners, fortunately that is changing but equal pay is still over the horizon for many, the BBC is only just tackling it as we speak.

DaveP

I have worked at an electronics factory for a few years. 

The standard electronics assemblies by hand, like stuffing parts that cannot be done by machines, were mainly done by women, (usually housewives), and all without any education in electronics. A couple of men among them.
The differences in wages isn't about being male or female, it's about education level.  The men working at that section don't have a better salary than the women.

End assemblies, tests, and repairs were done by people with an education in electronics. The people here have a higher salary. And well.... yes, these were all men.

but at the R&D section there was also one women. She had a better salary than we (I was working at the end assembly/test/repair section). Not sure if she had a similar income as the men in the R&D section. Of course other factors come into play, like experience, years of service, etc.

Nice link CJ, thanks for bringing that

I think those people in the assembly line need some Color in the walls, it looks like a sad and boring place

Back