Flexible, Easy-Handling, Coilable IEC Cables

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recording Engineer

Wasn’t sure where to put this:

I need to buy a couple dozen IEC power cables, specifically for a couple dozen custom tube mics. Being that they’ll be handled quite often, I’m looking for something with quality and handles easy with flexibility and coil-ability.

I remember years ago I bought a brand new HHB 850 CD-Recorder that came with a huge soft grey one that would coil like any nice mic cable; I’ve never owned another anywhere close to that.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I don't know of any molded brands. I'd buy SJ cable and put some ends on it. That way you can also cut to length.

Thanks! You're probably right, DIY is probably the best way to go and I do like having the option of having two or three lengths available. I still no idea which cable will stay nicely coiled without being tied together in at least a couple places though. Even with just half a dozen tube mics out, these every day IEC cables drive me up the wall!

Recording Engineer said:
Even with just half a dozen tube mics out, these every day IEC cables drive me up the wall!

Not exactly what you are asking, but they make two-fer and three-fer IEC cords.This could tidy things up if your mic supplies are close enough together. But the three-fers I have don't coil neat worth a damn, it's that real stiff PVC.

Gene

It’s actually SJx. There is both rubber and neoprene SJ type cable. Maybe some other types too. It’s all flexible.

Two conductor or four conductor SJ type cable is often used as speaker cable for live sound.  It fits nicely in a Speakon, Powercon or IEC.  Probably 16/3 for an IEC.

Back