New Electronic Component - the “trancitor”

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

Just ran across this today...fascinating!

Lee’s reasoning focuses on the most prominent active electronic device: the transistor. It has an output that can be switched by a current or voltage input. In other words, a transistor is a way of switching current on and off.

But there is no comparable device to switch a voltage. He sets out to describe such a device.

Transistors take an input signal and transfer it to the current output, rather like a variable resistor. Hence the name—a combination of “transfer” and “resistor.” By contrast, the device he imagines would transfer an input signal into a voltage output, like a variable capacitor. So Lee calls it a trancitor.

He goes on to suggest how it might be used. One obvious application is to pair a trancitor and a transistor to create circuits that are far simpler and more energy efficient than existing designs. For example, Lee shows how it would be possible to create a simple voltage amplifier using a single trancitor and a single transistor. By contrast, a conventional version of this circuit requires four transistors.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/611184/another-missing-component-could-revolutionize-electronics/

EDIT: Added sample circuit for how the trancitor could simplify electronics, including audio.

Attachments

• trancitor-v-transistor.png
    trancitor-v-transistor.png
    111 KB · Views: 12
Phrazemaster said:
I'm surprised nobody seems interested in this...could have big implications for our circuits!

Thoughts?
I didn't want to always be the negative nellie but you asked so... meh? I don't even know what switching voltage means?  Semi-"conductors" modulate current (semi-conduct), either using current (bipolar), voltage (field effect), or even magnetic field (Hall effect) to modulate that channel current.

New gee whiz semiconductor stuff is always around the fringes and the real holy grail is denser memory, or smaller less power hungry switches/logic gates.

Maybe this has potential to be that but even if it does it will be invisible to us end users, just cheaper, smaller logic/memory chips.

thanks for sharing but sorry the rocket scientists around here rather wrestle over the latest ugly tweet.  ::)

JR

This  type  of active  devices  has  an  inverse  functionality  of transistors,  and  is  suggested  to  be  called  trancitor  rather  than  transistor  because  it  directly  transfers  an input signal into  a voltage output. It is expected that a trancitor coupled with a transistor can provide a minimal  circuit  configuration,  i.e.,  low  circuit  complexity,  helping  virtually  to  meet  the  Moore’s  law.
And  this  may  also  lead  to  a  lower  power-consumption and  higher  speed  of  circuits  compared  to  a transistor-only  circuit. 

Thanks JR. I thought the development of a trancitor sounded amazing - able to replace several transistors. It sounded like something that could be actually created.

But I hear you, it's unobtainium right now...

Thanks also Pucho; it looked like your post was blank.

Back