"The Electron" a Cathode Follower Headamp Microphone Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean, these screwed holder have certain advantages.

M-Audio Nova would be a good candidate, but unfortunately I only have one of them left.

1000040912.jpg

Everything could possibly fit in there, but if not, I'll put the OPT and C3 into the power supply unit. I think that would definitely be necessary if you want to use a 414 or TL103 style body, they really offer very little space, so a subminiature tube and external components are mandatory. The Apex460 is different story, lots of room.

Yes OPT and large coupling capacitors can be located within supply, it's one of the advantage of using a buffer as headamp: low out z can drive longuer cable without issue ( slew rate isn't compromised by cable capacitance). It open field to play with different transformers type, can be line or other not nescessarely mic optimized. I had interesting results with Carnhill line out transformers (9600/2400), i found bigger core offered more headroom in experiments and a slightly different sound than a mic level dedicated trans with same ratio ( ll1670xl).

The body ( and so headbasket style) is important soundwise as there will be little coloration from electronic ( theorically but with a ccs loaded cf i don't doubt it will be transparent... even transformers should bring low coloration as they'll probably be low ratio too).

From the circuits i've done with cf, it's mainly capsule/headbasket environnement you hear. From circuit: psu ( with 'regular' cf there is low psrr), out transfo in order of importance ime.

About ecc88: at which bias do you plan to use them ( how much current at quiescent point)?

I thought that my next tube mic will be live in this body. Switches and all, and not a Neumann trademark infringement I think 🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240926_170207_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20240926_170207_Alibabacom.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 0
Back