JohnRoberts

Re: An engineering solution to climate change?
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
The driest place on earth is a desert in Chili. A few weeks ago, it got as much rain as in the previous 500 years...

Result: most of the life in this desert is dead. Some species might be gone forever.
For any interested in learning more about the Atacama dessert, its in Chile.... It's geography places it directly west of the Andes mountain range so rain clouds generally release their rainfall on the other side of the tall mountain peaks. This makes it the driest place on earth.

The Atacama has been inhabited by people for thousands of years, with cities down by the Pacific coast.

Above average dessert rainfall occurs during el nino ocean weather patterns (that repeat on a multiple year cycle) where a warmer Pacific ocean surface temperatures  generate more rain clouds. Normally the pacific there is too cold to generate significant rain activity.

JR
It's nice to be nice....

boji

« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2018, 07:52:58 PM »
My co-worker told his son one evening to 'go catch some fireflies'. He then realized he hadn't seen any in his yard for quite some time...
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/magazine/insect-apocalypse.html

scott2000

« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2018, 11:10:36 PM »
Pretty fascinating......

I just realized this year's  love bug craziness wasn't really bad where I'm at....... I saw a couple flying around and thought oh boy, here we go......but I only saw a few afterwards..... usually there are thousands and the front room gets loaded with them from opening the door......

I've only seen a handful of fireflies around here anyhow so I can't say it's unusual not to see them at least here in my neighborhood....

Now I guess it makes more sense why some of these pest control companies around are branching out into landscaping ....operations....

ruffrecords

« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2018, 04:13:46 AM »
The UK Met Office recently released a prediction that temperatures will rise by 5 degrees in 50 years according to their latest model. I guess some of you will be around to see if that one comes true.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'

« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
I've already purchased a few sets of arm floaties.

scott2000

« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2021, 04:30:47 AM »
Hmm..

"Open-air research into spraying tiny, sun-reflecting particles into the stratosphere, to offset global warming, has been stalled for years by controversies - including that it could discourage needed cuts in greenhouse gas emissions."

"Still, if successful, it could be a step towards an experiment, perhaps in the autumn of 2021 or spring of 2022, to release a tiny amount – up to 2 kg - of non-toxic calcium carbonate dust into the atmosphere, Keith said."

https://news.trust.org/item/20201218140025-po1gu

JohnRoberts

« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2021, 10:11:45 AM »
I've shared this before (probably in this thread), years ago some respected Chicago economists reviewed  the global warming situation from a cost benefit analysis.  Indeed we could actively cool/warm the planet by altering the albedo. Past massive volcanic events have demonstrated the ability to alter global temperatures with particulate emissions into upper atmosphere.

Of course we must be cautious about altering input terms to a chaotic system. The only good thing to be said about the current political strategy regarding fossil fuels and carbon dioxide, is that it won't change anything enough to destabilize the climate, while it can have a significant impact on wealth and world poverty. Higher energy prices disproportionately harm the poor. 

JR
It's nice to be nice....

scott2000

« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2021, 10:35:27 AM »
Leaning more vegetarian tbh...

“The sort of foods ranges from whole insects as an aperitif or as snacks to processed insects in bars or pasta or burgers made out of insects. We believe that insects for food is one solution for some of the biggest challenges we are facing on the planet. In the context of scarce resources, and insect production is not too demanding, you have the capacity to produce high-quality protein. That is a very promising solution.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/03/insects-likely-approved-human-consumption-by-eu

ruffrecords

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2021, 07:16:59 PM »
I read today that the current evidence is that the earth experiences a big meteor strike on average every 27 million years and that most cause extinction events. And since the last one was over 60 million years ago we are about 30 million years overdue. With those odds it might well occur before global warming wipes us out.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'

scott2000

« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2021, 07:27:06 PM »

cyrano

« Reply #210 on: January 17, 2021, 06:29:26 AM »
Semeru in Java erupted. It seems some might get what they wished for...
Why is it people love to believe and hate to know?