BJT opamp suitible for line receiver

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5v333

im planning a little mod jobb on one of my EQs.

it has a simple 4resistor balanced line receiver on the input. each resistor is 5k1.

would an opamp with BJT input be suitible for thoose resistances? or would jfet be better?

5v333 said:
im planning a little mod jobb on one of my EQs.

it has a simple 4resistor balanced line receiver on the input. each resistor is 5k1.
I minor point but the 4 resistor, one op amp input is "differential" not balanced. More than adequate for typical line level interfaces.
would an opamp with BJT input be suitible for thoose resistances? or would jfet be better?
Yes, either should be OK.

JR

Thanks guys!!!

I think i am missing the point of my own question...

Ive read that bjt opamps works better around lower impedances. But is it because of current noise or stability that this is said?

Im planning on replacing the opamp - which is a op275 - with a lme49860. Its Voffset is almost ten times lower so i hope i can remove a couple of elyt blockingcaps after it.

Im not sure yet but i think the supplys are +-24v. So my candidates are few.

And theres already sockets installed with all opamps so it will be a little easier replacing them.

If the input is DC coupled, I would not remove the caps after it because you don't want DC on the input to wreaking havoc on stuff downstream. Usually swapping out op amps doesn't really make much of a difference. It is more likely to do more harm than good (stability because of bandwidth increase, overloading supply, ...).

5v333 said:
Thanks guys!!!

I think i am missing the point of my own question...

Ive read that bjt opamps works better around lower impedances. But is it because of current noise or stability that this is said?

Im planning on replacing the opamp - which is a op275 - with a lme49860. Its Voffset is almost ten times lower so i hope i can remove a couple of elyt blockingcaps after it.

Im not sure yet but i think the supplys are +-24v. So my candidates are few.

And theres already sockets installed with all opamps so it will be a little easier replacing them.
Sounds like you are replacing good with slightly better.

Your audio path sound quality is not likely to be significantly changed by eliminating a couple blocking capacitors (unless they are really crappy capacitors).

A chain is only as strong as the weakest link, not the strongest.

JR

In some ideal world: BJT and JFET voltage noise will be similar. (JFET current noise will be far smaller.)

In Chip World: a low-hiss JFET will be much larger than a low-hiss BJT. In chip technology you never get the lowest voltage noise with JFET inputs.

A 10K line-input should NOT matter. Hiss should be set at the microphone or the mix-network.

thanks again for the advice!

il have a try with the lme opamp. perhaps in other positions aswell.

as said here, the difference wount be night and day. more like a polishing effect. good enough!

there is actually blocking caps on the inputs. if there is no sine of dc on the inputs i might remove them aswell. but keeping them feels good aswell for security reasons in case there is failure outside the box.

5v333 said:
thanks again for the advice!

il have a try with the lme opamp. perhaps in other positions aswell.

as said here, the difference wount be night and day. more like a polishing effect. good enough!

there is actually blocking caps on the inputs. if there is no sine of dc on the inputs i might remove them aswell. but keeping them feels good aswell for security reasons in case there is failure outside the box.
Input DC Blocking caps stop DC for sundry reasons. Customers don't like switches that click, or pots that make scratchy noise when turned, both caused by DC.  While that DC doesn't affect static sound quality it definitely hurts the "perception" of sound quality.

JR

Back