Fame CM2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhelin

A 33 EUR mic for modding or used as a donor body? It sounds good even as it is, many expensive mics sound much worse. It's small but seems to have some space for a transformer and a nuvistor maybe if you want to go that route?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxAwx-R3ELw

You can see the internals at about 3:55 on the video. The capsule looks like a 3 micron one, very transparent gold coating. The grille looks good (has two layers) and doesn't sound that bad at all (no sibilants I can hear, though it might be the post processing).

It's Alctron mc410 available at Aliexpress free shipping. Easy to remove logo with acetone as well.

They sound great. And mine had a trimpot for adjusting fet bias. Schoeps topology. Partially smd.

Only thing to be aware of it that body rings kinda like a bell. Not sure though if it's body or something else. Easy to fix as well.

Great song, good recording and mix as well (most folks recording their own vocals try too often hide their voice into the mix but you don't)! So you have not modded those mics at all expect put in some acryl putty or something to kill the ringing? Nice to know the source for the Fame mics.  AFAIK, Alctron doesn't manufacture the capsules but just builds te mics. Would be nice to know the source for the capsules as well, any ideas? There aren't too many good sounding chinese K67 type capsules available anyway.  I just order single CM2 but might go for more.

Wow this is a nice donor body!
First thing that came to my mind is to get a couple, throw everything out and do a ribbon mic inside.
By looking at videos and photos, I believe it would be possible to fit 40mm long magnet into the headbasket, and there's just enough space at the bottom to fit the transformer. It would be a tight fit though.

:)

Luka

Thanks, it was kind of a quick test for drum setup and new mic arangement.

I didn't do anything about the ring as it rings only when hit, so i guess i'm safe using it as hihat mic.

I did upgrade fet coupling capacitor for polystirene and rebiased fet for minimal distortion.

Only stock mic there is beta52 on kick, the rest of them are all projects from this forum :)

I am not sure about the origin of the capsules, but they are way better than usual brass ring 32mm found in their earlier mics.

I got lucky with one of their capsules, as it matched u87 high end response  in flat circuit!

Latest posts

Back