Tascam 488 RW/FW issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samgraysound

Hi,

I'm working on a Tascam Portastudio 488 mk2. It has a FF/rewind problem. It will run in either direction for about 3 seconds then stop. Playback works fine. I have changed the belt, lubricated the supply and takeup spindles and capstan shaft. I'm thinking maybe it is the rubber roller for FF/RW motor? It seems pretty dried out. What do you think?

Sam

Cassette deck. Many of these had an electric finger on the spool hub. If it kept ticcing the transport kept running; if ticks stopped for a few seconds a timer cut-out and motor power quit.

Enjoy the manual; it's too much for me tonight.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/tascam/488-portastudio.shtml

Or look for some bits of wire hitting bumps on a reel hub, clean the surface, check for busted leads.

Manual, PDF page 58, lower right: those photo-sensors may replace the wire-contacts in other machines. A clump of cat-fur might block the light. I would also look for bad joints, and +12V/0V as indicated.

PRR said:
Manual, PDF page 58, lower right: those photo-sensors may replace the wire-contacts in other machines. A clump of cat-fur might block the light. I would also look for bad joints, and +12V/0V as indicated.

I took the transport apart and looked at the sensor pcb. The photo couplers each have two segments both pointing up at the bottom of the hubs. The hubs have alternating shiny and black segments. So it seems to me like they are supposed to reflect the light back at the photocouplers as they spin.

I cleaned the photocouplers and the underside of the hubs. I checked the 12v on pcb, it's there. I retouched all the joints on the pcb. No difference in behavior. I took off the hubs and ran it while looking at the photocouplers. I didn't see any light coming out of them but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to.

Back