Microphonic tube (ECC88) - how much is normal?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andow

I just finished a stereo version of a Gyraf Pultec and noticed that the tubes pick up every vibration in the room, which means that they are microphonic.

Now I know that this is normal to some extent, but I tried knocking on the front panel and saw that the loudest peaks are around -20dBu (noise floor of the unit is -80dBu)!

So my question is: how much microphonics would you consider normal for an ECC88?

ECC88's are generally microphonic to some degree because of it's frame-grid architecture - and as there is no (easy) way to quantify the amount, it's more or less up to you to judge when it starts to get annoying.

When going through NOS mil-grade 6922's, I find some 10-15% to be unusable for audio..

Jakob E.

Thanks for your replies! I'm talking about Philips JAN 6922 btw.

I found that when just playing music over loudspeakers, the noise floor of one of the tubes rises from -80dBu to -40dBu! I would say that's definitely too much....

@Ian: are the new EH tubes less microphonic? And how do they compare sound-wise to NOS tubes?

andow said:
@Ian: are the new EH tubes less microphonic? And how do they compare sound-wise to NOS tubes?

Yes they are much less microphonic than NOS ones I have tried. Sound wise they are identical.

Cheers

Ian

Back