Mic input transformer connections confusion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftblock

I'm at the pointy end of a LA2A build for a family member, this is my first attempt at pro style audio gear most of my previous experience had been with guitar amps.

Most of the hardware for the build has been salvaged from old junked equipment, in particular the chassis comes from an old solid state PA amp,  I also made use of the input transformer which has a 15:1 turns ratio. The transformer is potted in an aluminium casting and has no terminals but instead two short lengths of coax for the primary and secondary connections The secondary coax is straight forward with one insulated conductor and the earth braid - the primary however has 2 insulated wired protruding from the earth braid, measurements with an ohm meter show that the earth braid is the centre tap of the primary winding. The circuit shows that the braid(CT) connects to what looks like pin 3 of the input XLR which is then earthed and the two insulated conductors are connected to pins 1 and 2. I must admit that this has confused me a bit as I always assumed that pin 1 was ground with 2 and 3 as the active signal pins.

2dke7ic.jpg

34ht2qw.jpg

My question is do I connect the braid to pin 1 (which is my first instinct)  or as shown on the circuit and connect the braid to pin 3 - there is always the possibility that as the XLR pins in the circuit are not numbered that what looks to me to be pin 3 is in reality pin 1 in which case my instincts are correct. This question may seem rather basic but as the finished product will be shipped off interstate and I doubt that the family member even owns a soldering iron I need to get this right  before it leaves my hands.

For those that are interested the build went well, I used a Kenetek TB4 and wound the mains transformer and also the output transformer on my homemade coil winder that has automatic traverse, for the output transformer I stripped out the windings from a choke that had been pulled from an old junked Telefunken bit of gear, it was partially dismantled when it came my way so I'm not sure what the original use was. The choke used what I call M laminations and a neat bobbin made of flat pieces of bakelite that interlocked together similar to a puzzle toy. The choke was labelled EMT which I believe is the maker of better quality transformers so I assumed the laminations would be half decent.

2d1qo1l.jpg

The output transformer was a bit of an experiment but has turned out quite well - I'm not sure if I did this the right way but with a 560Ohm resistor and scope connected across the LA2A output the response is good from 25Hz and starts to fall off slowly at around 13.5Khz, the -3db point being around 17Khz.

I think your instinct is correct regarding the XLR. There are no XLR pin numbers on the XLR so I suspect it is drawn the way it is simply for convenience.

I am a little concerned about your output transformer high frequency response. 3dB down ar 17KHz is not good.

Cheers

Ian

leftblock said:
... The circuit shows that the braid(CT) connects to what looks like pin 3 of the input XLR which is then earthed and the two insulated conductors are connected to pins 1 and 2. I must admit that this has confused me a bit as I always assumed that pin 1 was ground with 2 and 3 as the active signal pins....
My question is do I connect the braid to pin 1 (which is my first instinct)  or as shown on the circuit and connect the braid to pin 3 - there is always the possibility that as the XLR pins in the circuit are not numbered that what looks to me to be pin 3 is in reality pin 1 in which case my instincts are correct. .....

Most probably the symbol for the input connector  shows DIN wiring not XLR, so you are right, the braid should be connected to the pin 1. Also, check the frequency response with other loads, 10k for example. You have a scope so you can easily find what's the cause of the -3dB loss.

Thanks for the prompt replies, it seems my instinct was correct.

I have a copy of the Dave Jahnsen booklet and as he suggested I've set C4 to roll of the response at the top end. When I initially tested the output transformer after winding it, I paralleled the secondary windings to closer approximate my signal gen impedance, and soldered a 15K resistor across the primary. I then fed a sine wave into the secondary with a scope connected to the primary, so in effect it was back to front. At the bottom end the response started to drop off at around 30Hz and at the top end around 40Khz.

The centre leg of the laminations are close enough to 16mm wide and the the stack is 18mm high. I wound the first primary winding of 3000turns of  0.12mm wire (this diam includes the insulation) then two secondary windings of 600 turns each 0.16mm wire and finally another primary winding of 3000 turns 0.12mm wire - total primary turns 6000 and total secondary turns 1200 for a 5:1 ratio. I used these sizes simply because that is what I have, most of the wire I have is on the thicker side as I usually wind guitar amp transformers.
I was glad to have a winder with auto traverse for this job, but I did have to keep the winding speed down to just below 200 RPM - if I tried to go faster I experienced wire breakage even with the static brake fully off, I think possibly the grease in the de-spooler ball races are a cause of too much drag for thin wire.

Back