Mains Installation tester ,
« on: April 26, 2019, 10:36:08 AM »
Looks like Ive landed myself an electricians portable tester , does a whole load of mains tests on all relevant values of mains wiring systems , performs insulation testing ,conductor and ground resistance measurements ,RCD and safety testing , and loads more
I have been offered  the P.A.T testing course at work , costs a few hundred ,but seems like a good qualification to have , only takes a day ,and your basically qualified to test all manner of appliances in situ , having my own machine to begin with is a bonus too .
Generally it involves current and voltage probes across  single or multi phase supplies , and it can graph every parameter of the wiring  under load in software .The machine only comes with basic probes , but the addition of current clamps and a few basic accessories  ,you can test  almost any electrical job short of KV overhead wires .

cyrano

Re: Mains Installation tester ,
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:47:02 PM »
I'd do the course, If I were you.

It always amazes me that some of the venues I work with, have several engineers, some of them well versed in electronics, but hardly any have people to tackle simple electrical stuff.
Why is it people love to believe and hate to know?

Re: Mains Installation tester , New
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 08:50:15 AM »
Unit arrived ,

http://www.supremetechnology.com.au/MainImages/Product_Manuals/METREL_MI_2087_Instaltest_61557_Digital_Measuring_Instrument_Usermanual.pdf

was advertised as fully functional , batteries had long since corroded , Duracell 2010 use by date , so roughly correlates to the era in the early/mid 2000's when these machines were sold .  My first attempt at cleaning the battery tray  wasnt good enough , only one terminal was badly effected by the green semi conductive salt , oddly enough a negative battery terminal in the middle of the 4 cells , I noticed my battery output volts drop when I hit the power switch , so from around 5,5 down to 1.2 , there was no huge current draw or heat , the unit made ocassional blips and bleeps, the backlight flickered, and the relays clicked once or twice ,but no joy 
 , I began to suspect a high contact resistance in the battery  tray somewhere , I pinched up all the metal to metal eyelet contacts  in the battery holder and gave the corroded contact a scrub with a small rotary wire brush attachment , tested it again sure enough the relays engaged and she came back to life .

Its like a multimeter for electricians with all the usual ranges , volts ,ohms, mA ,A ,HZ , phase
Then a load of other test modes on top , it gives a very quick and easy indication of the quality off all the paths in any given electrical socket or outlet .
Seems to have four wire Kelvin ground measurement , involves banging in extra grounding rods and current clamps and applying test voltages and currents to the earth itself  ;D
, just breaking the surface of the capabillity of this box , even on two wire resistance measurement , you can easily null out the test cable  with the 'cal' button . 
For what it cost me to buy  I would'nt have got an hour of   'Sparky' time ,plus call out charge. Model seems to have been replaced by something smaller with graphic hook up diagram on screen , instead of a small booklet  ,otherwise the same thing as far as I can see .Im working my way around all the outlets at home , checking things out .

Incidently ,does anyone have an explantion for what happens over time on unused battery terminals , the green electrolytic salt crystal that can accumulate and cause problems .

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:40:31 AM by Tubetec »

JohnRoberts

Re: Mains Installation tester ,
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »

For what it cost me to buy  I would'nt have got an hour of   'Sparky' time ,plus call out charge. Model seems to have been replaced by something smaller with graphic hook up diagram on screen , instead of a small booklet  ,otherwise the same thing as far as I can see .Im working my way around all the outlets at home , checking things out .

I invested too much time designing an outlet tester that could parse line, neutral, and ground. But I did not test for integrity (impedance) of the ground connections.

Incidently ,does anyone have an explantion for what happens over time on unused battery terminals , the green electrolytic salt crystal that can accumulate and cause problems .

I am not much of a chemist but there is a galvanic corrosion powered by the battery potential, especially with dissimilar metals.

The green is from copper oxidizing, lead makes white smutz, and I have seen steel battery wires turn black and erode inside the insulation sheath.

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.