Industry

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

Communicating new ideas to the old guards and dead heads will never be an easy task. People are locked into to the idea of what a record sounds like. What does it sound like. What Biff or Jill does? I THINK NOT. Look at the gear rack of any "big studio" certain processors are mandatory for credibility because it has a "sound" or the "sound". Even software developers are  emulating these things to ensure a viable income. Happily will I rebel against 90% of you...that's what I do. Let's talk about it.

analag said:
Communicating new ideas to the old guards and dead heads will never be an easy task. People are locked into to the idea of what a record sounds like. What does it sound like. What Biff or Jill does? I THINK NOT. Look at the gear rack of any "big studio" certain processors are mandatory for credibility because it has a "sound" or the "sound". Even software developers are  emulating these things to ensure a viable income. Happily will I rebel against 90% of you...that's what I do. Let's talk about it.

Communicating new ideas?  Anonymous shitposting is not communicating...

I live and work in L.A. and I'm in big studios every week.  If you've got a new idea that's better, they want to know.  I worked with a high end speaker company for many years and have first hand experience of bringing new/better/high $ products into the marketplace.  If a product or workflow is truly better, it will succeed.

So when are you gonna show up?

Innovation rarely happens at the center once an industry emerges...I get the point, but innovation by the numbers is not something easy to quantify anyway...

Abby Roads was the center hub and innovated the crap outta records for awhile...

The illusion that you can speak or shout truth to power pervades...power does not listen to anything other than power.

Innovate because it gives you joy...or stay in the groove for the same reason...

At the end of the day twisting knobs rarely amounts to much more than a response to critics.

I aim to build unique gear,  but certainly study and draw inspiration from the classics. Some of the industry standard gear are standards for a reason. They flat out work and sound great. Having familiar and great sounding gear at an unfamiliar studio is a positive thing.

if you want to innovate in the studio world, you have to understand there will always be certain gear that studios have to have.  There is no way around that. As more and more companies base their business model on cloning products and copying DIY projects then it will not resolve.  What you need to do, is do you.  If you feel  that passionately about you, then go for it. If it is something fresh, it can easily breakthrough.  Having been at audio manufacturing companies in various states of household name to unknown I can tell you stick to what your gut says to do.  If you feel a design is vastly superior for any reason, then put it out and see.  It may be a huge hit who knows.

Seems gear is picked to mask problems as well as an enhancement tool.  There lots of performers but few that have Stellar performance abilities.    Some mics will show all the bad habits in a performance.  I switch to lesser when that happens. Put two pop filters up with a desser on top to dumb down artifacts.  Greatness happens in front of the mic first, then the preamps. 

Guess I fall in the second camp in a secondary market.  Still I love a 251 on vocals.  So bring it on . Easy to criticize and hard to make it better.    We depend on talented people for our results.

analag said:
People are locked into to the idea of what a record sounds like.

Frankly I hear more variation today in the way records sound than those of back in the day...  both good and bad.

Seeker said:
Frankly I hear more variation today in the way records sound than those of back in the day...  both good and bad.

yes but a lot of the same equipment which I think is the point. how often do you go to a studio and see the same 1176, la2a's, etc, etc, etc.

ruairioflaherty said:
Communicating new ideas?  Anonymous sh*tposting is not communicating...

I live and work in L.A. and I'm in big studios every week.  If you've got a new idea that's better, they want to know.  I worked with a high end speaker company for many years and have first hand experience of bringing new/better/high $ products into the marketplace.  If a product or workflow is truly better, it will succeed.

So when are you gonna show up?

but you are an actual true to_________  so what do you expect, good souls just drop on your plate to talk about life as they experience it?

======

Lighten up.... its the rulez....

Maybe ignore him like we all do...

JR

pucho812 said:
yes but a lot of the same equipment which I think is the point. how often do you go to a studio and see the same 1176, la2a's, etc, etc, etc.

Yea, I get it but I think  most clients looking for a studio aren’t experts in gear so they choose things that provide predictable results.  The studios are just tryin to keep the clients happy. 

I agree with the general sentiment that it is tiresome to see the same old stuff.... Though I don’t really go into big studios. 

Maybe more of the innovation is happening on the mix side of things these days?

Kingston said:
but you are an actual true to_________  so what do you expect, good souls just drop on your plate to talk about life as they experience it?

I'm not following who you are mad at, it seems to be me but I don't understand why.

Seeker said:
Yea, I get it but I think  most clients looking for a studio aren’t experts in gear so they choose things that provide predictable results.  The studios are just tryin to keep the clients happy. 
Made me think of this analogy:

"Yea, I get it but I think  most listeners looking for a song aren’t experts in music so the composers choose things that provide predictable results.  The composers are just tryin to keep the listeners happy."    ::)

... but that's another topic for sure, so it best stops here already  ;)

clintrubber said:
Made me think of this analogy:

"Yea, I get it but I think  most listeners looking for a song aren’t experts in music so the composers choose things that provide predictable results.  The composers are just tryin to keep the listeners happy."    ::)

... but that's another topic for sure, so it best stops here already  ;)

Hah!  Very true...  I think when we wonder why things are the way they are we have to remember that the money is driven by the general public... makes me think of my last trip to Walmart.

Look I'm not saying the old standards are not great. But the stuff is here to take us forward. Personally I buy plugins from the small developers and the innovators. How do I sound mixing entirely in the box . I can whip you!

Seeker said:

I agree with the general sentiment that it is tiresome to see the same old stuff.... Though I don’t really go into big studios. 

I do, pretty frequently. On one hand as an engineer  it's the same stuff but as you said predictable results.  it would be unusual to be at a studio and not see an 1176 or la2a.  On the other hand it would be nice to see other things and get to explore more which luckily in l.a. there will be a few odds and ends here and there so we can explore sonics differently. the 1176 was not the only compressor using fets and so on.  Now as a tech it's nice to see the same stuff. Most gear  has a pattern of what will fail when a fault develops. Makes it easier to troubleshoot in a more rapid manor. Studio owners like that.

Back