Marantz 2330B puzzler

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samgraysound

I have a problem with a Marantz 2330B receiver that has me stumped!

With an input signal and the volume turned up to about halfway it goes into protect mode. Seemed simple enough, but wait!
  • Happens with any input signal including radio
  • Happens with an input to either channel, or both, but not without signal
  • Does not happen when directly feeding the power amp, from the main input jacks
  • Does not happen when driving the preamp without the couplers from preamp out jacks to main in jacks
  • Signal at power amp output looks totally fine on the scope
  • All this without a load
  • DC Offset and power amp bias have both been adjusted

It seems like maybe a problem with the protect circuit? But whenever I think there is a problem with the protect circuit there never is.

What do you think? schematic attached

Attachments

• hfe_marantz_2330b_schematics.pdf
    755.9 KB · Views: 15
If you have a scope, why you didn't check the protection circuit?
DC voltage on C818 and C819 especially in all scenarios . Usually first capacitor (C818 here) is defective.

moamps said:
DC voltage on C818 and C819 especially in all scenarios . Usually first capacitor (C818 here) is defective.

Its pretty tight  in there.  I will see if I can access it. Thanks.

abbey road d enfer said:
DC bursts should be visible on a scope, but oscillations may disappear just by probing. Make sure you have a high-Z/low C probe. Oscillations may be triggered by signal or manipulating a switch.

Probed input and output of the power amp on both channels. Saw neither DC bursts or oscillations. My probe is a Probe Master 4901: https://probemaster.com/4900-oscilloscope-probe-basic-kit-150-300-mhz/

moamps said:

I replaced C8181 and C819 and the problem is fixed. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back