Most stupid and wasteful electronics parts delivery ever?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

living sounds

I ordered several parts, mostly small caps in low double digit amounts, 15 different types in total at a cost of around 40 EUR (including shipping).

So far they have sent out 5 different deliveries over the course of 3 days. 3 came in envelopes and landed in the mailbox. The latest one was delivered to a shop and I had to pick it up.

The box had 200 small ceramic caps of the same type (100nf X7R) at a total price of 4 EUR. Every single one is sealed in a plastic bag, it will take me at least a quarter of an hour to get them all out of the bags. The trash can will be filled with the plastic stuff.

Have a look at the picture... Really, what are they thinking?

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
that's pretty bad. I ordered some relays recently. They came in a plastic tube holding all the relays.  The box the tube  came in could have held at least 4-5 medium size iPads.  Not sure why they do that, but they do.  could have easily used a bubble envelope and been done. The only upside was shipping was the same price for ground and 2 day, so yeah of course I am going with the faster shipping.

oh my.. that is really stupid.
I'm happy to see at least some of the sellers switching from plastic to paper bags like reichelt.

But this waste also has something to do with regulations coming from the manufacturer itself.

Hello

RS have a professional delivery policy...if in stock and ordered before 19h parcel come next day...usually in the morning.
For non local stock it's also take the road the same night, but need more time to come, that's why sometime the order is split and have one or two days delay
That's why RS is not the cheapest, but for industry that need part the next day to not stop manufacturing process it's great...

for small order I admit it look stupid...

Now for your specific order, and all this plastic waste, fault also at your side (no offence!), RS usually offer different package for the same product... like bag of 25, 50 etc... as reel (may be too much  ;D)

Best
Zam

pucho812 said:
that's pretty bad. I ordered some relays recently. They came in a plastic tube holding all the relays.  The box the tube  came in could have held at least 4-5 medium size iPads.  Not sure why they do that, but they do.  could have easily used a bubble envelope and been done. The only upside was shipping was the same price for ground and 2 day, so yeah of course I am going with the faster shipping.

I recently ordered op amps from RS. 80 pieces. Every single one was in a little hard plastic tray which in turn was sealed into a plastic bag. But at least those were not parts costing 2 cents each...

weiss said:
oh my.. that is really stupid.
I'm happy to see at least some of the sellers switching from plastic to paper bags like reichelt.

But this waste also has something to do with regulations coming from the manufacturer itself.

I don't have much of a problem with the little zip-bags Reichelt uses. You can use these again. And they will put 200 caps in one of those bags.

I remember that a few years ago RS delivered for free in Germany, at any amount. It was great in case you needed only two transistors.

Those ceramic caps would have cost me 12 EUR instead of 4 had I ordered at Reichelt.

RS is sure to actually lose money with these small orders. Guess that's why they only deliver to buisinesses and not consumers, since the former tend to place much bigger orders to make up the losses of the small orders that sometimes are necessary even for buisinesses....

zamproject said:
Hello

RS have a professional delivery policy...if in stock and ordered before 19h parcel come next day...usually in the morning.
For non local stock it's also take the road the same night, but need more time to come, that's why sometime the order is split and have one or two days delay
That's why RS is not the cheapest, but for industry that need part the next day to not stop manufacturing process it's great...

for small order I admit it look stupid...

Now for your specific order, and all this plastic waste, fault also at your side (no offence!), RS usually offer different package for the same product... like bag of 25, 50 etc... as reel (may be too much  ;D)

Best
Zam

wow - you should send all their unnecessary packaging back to them - maybe with a fake RMA number and a little note inside asking they be a bit more responsible ... hell - i'll pay for the return shipping even

You should try B&H in the US.  A six item order is guaranteed to be delivered in at least four boxes by at least 3 different delivery guys ON THE SAME DAY, any box of which could hold the entire order.  I'm sure it's about 'labor warehouse efficiencies', so F the planet with excess garbage and fuel for movement.  Amazon is the same. 

I once ordered loads of tiny bits from the same ebay store , I made sure I basketed everything and paid in one transaction , still each individual parcel arrived seperate spread  across about 1 month in time. 

If their business is mostly selling onsey-twosey, it is logical to pre-package individually. I suspect if you bought a higher quantity they would come bulk packaged. It cost them extra money to package individually.

Maybe they did not have enough bulk inventory to satisfy your order that way, so decided to fill the order using what stock they had. 

I would be more upset about not getting the parts I needed.

JR

I'm sure they have their reasons, but competitors manage to do better.

And their pricing structure is completely absurd. They sell the same capacitor in a variety of slightly different spacing specs at vastly different prices. They sell the part I got for 2 cents for as much as 1,30 EUR (slightly bigger and different spacing). Electrically the same part. If you buy in bulk of 4000 pieces of just another variant it will cost you 4,6 cents per part.

I know no other parts dealer that does it this way.

While I'm at it: They don't print the component parameters on the bag in most cases. If you order a lot of parts that look very similar and don't have easily deciferable markings you are left to check the product numbers on their really slow website...

The upside is the really fast delivery (and even faster for-pay delivery options), sometimes bargain prices and some components you cannot get anywhere else.

Latest posts

Back