Gyraf at namm

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Ran into Jackob. Heard his gear.  It was incredible. Well done sir. Next studio purchases will have to be gyraf now that you can get it in the u.s.

Jackob was very humble about what he does and how good it really is.
As a memento of our meeting I gave him a 1 ounce bourbon to mark the occasion.

skål jackob.

I'd love to check his stuff out some day.  I have two G9s and they are my favorites.  I'd love to be in a position to financially support his amazing work sometime!

matriachamplification said:
This is exactly my response to ANYONE who ask me about what to buy... Gyraf, its the best! Even though I never heard it.

I know the feeling. I had uber high expectations of the stuff and when I first heard it and played with it, it exceeded expectations.  8)

Skål, Pucho!

Great to meet you there, although it was waay too short..! I didn't even get to take note of the real name on your badge, something I'd planned to do for a long time. I think I could reconstruct by going through the badges that Frank (my distributor, One F Sound) got scanned - but easiest option is to ask here: Pucho, what IS your real name? Or, at least, why not? :)

That burbon, is that DIY? Sure is a real joy - still have like ½ left..

I didn't get the TEC award (SSL "Fusion" was in same category, so I rest my case) - but the show was great, and there was this magic orange dot on my vip access card that ensured me an unlimited supply of free drinks..  :eek:

The whole NAMM was such a great event to be part of. I think there has been a significant change in the way my company is perceived: Being in company with Frank seem to make customers skip most of the initial skepticism of my brand. Makes it so much easier to get them actually listening.

And there was so many interesting discussions. So many really, really bright people with interests similar to mine. Like going for dinner with Ruari friday, meeting some of his friends - my head nearly boiled over with the new angles, possibilities and information that they so effortlessly poured on any subject that came up. I'm so very grateful that I've seen this, been there, knowing that such exist.

As for the show halls, I only ever got to see the nearest surroundings of our booth in the lower north hall - usually it's much quieter in my booth, but this year there was a constant influx of people to talk to, so I did not have time to get bored and wander around. Probably a good thing though.

Still, the most interesting thing I saw is the Access:Analog mechanical remote/recall system. I have probably mentioned it before, but I have the highest degree of respect for what Chris Barrett is able to do with ever-so-simple-looking mechanical parts. There's nothing simple about it, trust me - been there, cried over that.

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
Skål, Pucho!

Great to meet you there, although it was waay too short..! I didn't even get to take note of the real name on your badge, something I'd planned to do for a long time. I think I could reconstruct by going through the badges that Frank (my distributor, One F Sound) got scanned - but easiest option is to ask here: Pucho, what IS your real name? Or, at least, why not? :)

That burbon, is that DIY? Sure is a real joy - still have like ½ left..

I didn't get the TEC award (SSL "Fusion" was in same category, so I rest my case) - but the show was great, and there was this magic orange dot on my vip access card that ensured me an unlimited supply of free drinks..  :eek:

The whole NAMM was such a great event to be part of. I think there has been a significant change in the way my company is perceived: Being in company with Frank seem to make customers skip most of the initial skepticism of my brand. Makes it so much easier to get them actually listening.

And there was so many interesting discussions. So many really, really bright people with interests similar to mine. Like going for dinner with Ruari friday, meeting some of his friends - my head nearly boiled over with the new angles, possibilities and information that they so effortlessly poured on any subject that came up. I'm so very grateful that I've seen this, been there, knowing that such exist.

As for the show halls, I only ever got to see the nearest surroundings of our booth in the lower north hall - usually it's much quieter in my booth, but this year there was a constant influx of people to talk to, so I did not have time to get bored and wander around. Probably a good thing though.

Still, the most interesting thing I saw is the Access:Analog mechanical remote/recall system. I have probably mentioned it before, but I have the highest degree of respect for what Chris Barrett is able to do with ever-so-simple-looking mechanical parts. There's nothing simple about it, trust me - been there, cried over that.

/Jakob E.

the bourbon is not DIY, but there will be DIY bourbon in the future.  This year we brought a nice Bourbon from my home state of Texas. It's much easier to fill up small bottles and go into namm then have a large bottle.  Security thought we had vacuum tubes in the bag.  ;) If you ever want more, I'll send you a  big bottle.  it's warming on a cold Scandinavian night.

Pucho is a "kaldenavn" that was given to me long ago.  at the time when I joined the diy, it was perfect to use.

gyraf said:

/Jakob E.

A friend told me about it, I just saw the video.
Really impressive, great idea and great implementation.
Congrats to the Access Analog people

It will also be a good thing for people that always complain they can't get good mixes because their plugins don't sound as good as the real hardware, to understand finally that they suck at the job and that after buying time with the hardware they're mixes still suck
LOLOLOLOL

Aah, yes, this is a good way to get hardware into the hands of the unwashed masses, so that they  - for better or for worse - can decide if they want to go that way.

A very similar company is European mixanalog.com - their model is almost the same, but instead of mechanical actuation they replace pots and switches with massive piles of relays and resistors.

MixAnalog  have one of my (admitted, very strange!) G24 "passive-aggressive" compressors hooked up so that you can use and hear it from the safety of your own speakers (go ahead and try it - I'm pretty sure that new signups comes with some free playing-around time). Btw, another cool thing is that they have a couple of (real, reel) tape recorders to check out if you haven't played with tape lately and miss the experience. Or, like me, if you just want to feel the joy of a tape machine that you don't have to maintain yourself :)

I have really high expectations for this new way of accessing hardware - and my secret hope is that the good people from AccessAnalog and MixAnalog will come together and form some common ground for methods, interfaces and protocols, so that they don't have to invent everything from ground up all the time. With cooperation I can't see them not cornering this entire market :)

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
A very similar company is European mixanalog.com - their model is almost the same, but instead of mechanical actuation they replace pots and switches with massive piles of relays and resistors.

Just checked the website, although it's similar idea I think the operational side is really outdated.
You upload you files to their cloud, and then work from there. 

Find the Plugin idea of Access Analog much more appealing, you can just insert it in any DAW like if it was a plugin, and there's no need to upload or download any files. The interface looks very well done.
Seems much more straightforward and with a better flow than mixanalog.com.

Both are still limited in terms of hardware offerings, I think Access has an edge here also, although mixanalog has an edge on the tape machines.

I will try both out just to have some fun, will try your compressor for sure. ;)

I'm not sure though if any cooperation will eventually work between both companies, I think that the guys in Access Analog have a much better product and can easily overcome mixanalog.com at this point.

You may be right - although I'm pretty sure that the Mix- people also have the realtime plugin-from-your-daw interface - the uploading (as I understand it) is mainly in order to finally-process/offline-bounce  in maximum possible quality after doing your settings in the usual preview quality..

the possibilities chance all the time - but I'm pretty exited about the new ways we can begin to access really-existing-hardware

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
You may be right - although I'm pretty sure that the Mix- people also have the realtime plugin-from-your-daw interface -

If they have you can't understand it from their website, which is already some big steps back than the Access people

Latest posts

Back