This software has potential, saw them at namm and wow

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is that HD Vinyl idiocy under a different name. I guess they had to change the name after they blew through their second round of funding.

It’s hard to count the ways this is a bad idea.

I guess now that everyone who knows anything about vinyl has rejected it they hope to sell it to unsuspecting engineers.

Gold said:
This is that HD Vinyl idiocy under a different name. I guess they had to change the name after they blew through their second round of funding.

It’s hard to count the ways this is a bad idea.

I guess now that everyone who knows anything about vinyl has rejected it they hope to sell it to unsuspecting engineers.

teach us oh wise one.  8)

pucho812 said:
teach us oh wise one.  8)

Would you want to send a record for production without ever hearing a reference and it being impossible to hear a reference? Bad idea #1. The process takes something like 12:00 to make a stamper. Compared to a couple of hours for a normal stamper. If there is  problem it's another 12:00 for a part. Bad idea #2.

I think you might have this confused with something else or I may not quite understand you. Might be both. 

This software for analysis purposes.  You load in your masters and it creates  a color coded image of what the vinyl would be. You can zoom in and see the grooves and the colors are used to indicate if there might be an issue. For example too much bass it would be red and so on.  They see it as a way to reduce having to make multiple test cuts on lathe.
My big issue I had is that each lathe will behave differently, for example Neumann will be different enough than a Scully or a westrex. I  think they still have major homework to do but to me the idea seemed intriguing...

pucho812 said:
I think you might have this confused with something else or I may not quite understand you. Might be both. 

It's both. Before they were pushing the stamper creation part to the industry. Since that failed they are pushing the software part to the unwashed. Look at the bottom of the page under benefits. It says it creates the image for HD Vinyl.

This software for analysis purposes.  You load in your masters and it creates  a color coded image of what the vinyl would be. You can zoom in and see the grooves and the colors are used to indicate if there might be an issue. For example too much bass it would be red and so on.  They see it as a way to reduce having to make multiple test cuts on lathe.
My big issue I had is that each lathe will behave differently, for example Neumann will be different enough than a Scully or a westrex. I  think they still have major homework to do but to me the idea seemed intriguing...

The actual problem is that all errors are a function of playback. You are relying on their modeling of playback cartridges and styli. Really bad idea unless you know what's under the hood and where the bodies are buried. When the record sounds like shit and the model says it's great who is to blame?

woa.... dude thank you.  that is some great info and understanding that was dumbed down enough to explain it to me. I didn't know they had been hawking this stuff before.  thanks.

pucho812 said:
I didn't know they had been hawking this stuff before.  thanks.

They’ve had two rounds of multimillion dollar funding so far with nothing to show for it. I’m guessing that’s all dried up and they have to try to hawk it retail. Did you see a demo download? Didn’t think so.

Gold said:
They’ve had two rounds of multimillion dollar funding so far with nothing to show for it. I’m guessing that’s all dried up and they have to try to hawk it retail. Did you see a demo download? Didn’t think so.

can I answer before you are correct? ;) nope didn't see a download, just a demo.

Latest posts

Back