Whoops

I wouldn't consider Room Acoustics as a good investment, its something that has virtually zero resale value.

In terms of Financial analysis an investment is money you spend in something with the expectation that it will allow you to recover that amount after some time and then starting making profit after that, called the Breakeven point

If an investment depends on "resale" value or not it depends on your business and industry type.

In this case the business is a Service, being it "Recording" , "Mixing" , "Music Production" or Mastering, that business if successful doesn't depend on resale value at all.

So analyzing acoustic treatment:
- You will have a better sounding room were you can have a better judgment and make better choices  - your work will be better - more clients - more work - improved reputation - more money coming in - with enough money coming in you will be closer to achieve the breaking point - when you achieve the breaking point you start to make profit - then it's an investment

The old studio I worked in had great acoustics designed by Andy Munro, the room sounded great, the Speakers and the Sub were also really nice in that room, Our work was better because of that but there was another thing also, the clients loved to come out of the Live Room and listen the recorded sound in the Control Room, that would make everyone happy in the first day of recording when artists and musicians are really nervous, that would chill them out.
The fact that recording artists also enjoyed the acoustics there brought much more work into the studio an a reputation of a great sounding room that still persists to this day.

Some other pretty vague examples of investments that have no resale value:
- Education
- Fertilizers in Agriculture
- An Athlete buying lighter shoes for running the Marathon
- A company giving better conditions at work for their colaborators
- Going to the doctor when you're sick
- Using warm white light in your home  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:14:00 PM by Whoops »

So analyzing acoustic treatment:
- You will have a better sounding room were you can have a better judgment and make better choices  - your work will be better - more clients - more work - improved reputation - more money coming in - with enough money coming in you will be closer to achieve the breaking point - when you achieve the breaking point you start to make profit - then it's an investment

You are such an idealist if you think that chain of events will happen just because you have a better sounding room.

scott2000

My Sigma tile cutter....lol

Whoops

You are such an idealist if you think that chain of events will happen just because you have a better sounding room.

I can only speak about my personal experience and my knowledge,
as a professional mixing and mastering engineer working on a room with decent acoustic treatment is detrimental to help me make better decisions and has a direct impact on the final quality of the service I provide.
The Service I provide is what pays my bills.

So yes, experience wise acoustic treatment is in my opinion one of the most important and one of the first invesmentments I would do in a studio, being it a recording, mastering or mixing studio.

Mbira

So yes, experience wise acoustic treatment is in my opinion one of the most important and one of the first invesmentments I would do in a studio, being it a recording, mastering or mixing studio.

Agreed. Not having proper room treatment means I can't do my job, so regardless of whether it is a "good investment", it is an essential business expense.  Also, room treatment has shown itself  to be one of the best bang for my buck.  Plus, if you build your own, it's a pretty forgiving material to move if needed.  I repurposed all of my treatment from my old space to my current space with minimal expense. 

The purpose of this post was to ask people what they considered good investments to themselves-not to argue about whether one persons good investment was actually a bad investment. 
Joel Laviolette

Rattletree   |  https://www.rattletree.com
The Rattletree School of Marimba | https://www.learnmarimba.com

gyraf

..headphones, coffee-machine, sofa. Whatever it takes to make clients feel comfortable is probably the best studio investments..

/Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

Rochey

..headphones, coffee-machine, sofa. Whatever it takes to make clients feel comfortable is probably the best studio investments..

/Jakob E.

Whatever makes them stay longer (at an hourly rate!) too :)

I guess it's a case of "tools that make you create a final product faster" mixed with "conveniences that make clients want to stay longer!"
Expat Audio Home: http://www.expataudio.com

Mbira

Whatever makes them stay longer (at an hourly rate!) too :)

I guess it's a case of "tools that make you create a final product faster" mixed with "conveniences that make clients want to stay longer!"

What are these "clients" that you speak of?
Joel Laviolette

Rattletree   |  https://www.rattletree.com
The Rattletree School of Marimba | https://www.learnmarimba.com

Rochey

well, we're talking abotu investments that help you make money.
one assumes that you make money by having clients.

Do we actually have people here that make a living recording and selling their own content?  8)
Expat Audio Home: http://www.expataudio.com

Anybody with a keen business sense probably wouldn't pick  owning a recording studio as a  sure fire winner.  There are other business plans  that have a better chance of a good return on investment.
Do it because you love doing it.   Buy what you need to get it done.  You might come across a couple of bargains along the way... ?   
But the days of finding a Neve desk for £5K, a Neumann M49 for £1K are over.   

I wish I still had some of the stuff I snagged back in the '80's and '90's...    I'd be living by some idyllic  beach within a month or two   :D
Note to self:  Don't let c**ts wind you up

QUEEF BAG

some good thoughts there my serious answer is quality mics-
if you don't turn sound energy into electrical energy in a graceful manner,
it won't matter what else you do down stream...you are phucked.

but why hasn't anyone said the one for sure winner?

buy the building