Daven wire wound attenuator power ratings?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrr

Looking at a Daven catalog, I see no mention of power ratings for attenuators other than a section of units meant for power, 6W and 10W types available.    What are the ratings of the typical units? 

The wire wound sections are a lot like the wire wound resistor in a U47; wide and flat, lots of real estate to spread out any heat, though I doubt heat is the primary purpose. 

I noticed some fudgery in a set of RCA line bridging amplifier specs. 

Input transformer with 20KΩ and 500Ω primary, 50KΩ secondary, feeding a standard Daven 50K wire wound pot, feeding a grid.   

Specs state the 20KΩ bridging input can handle 40W/600Ω/1kHz.    The input transformer can, but the attenuator after it?    I'm pretty clear on transformer headroom with respect to frequency, but not attenuator power capacity.    I'm assuming, as in many cases, spec of 1kHz is kinda useless info. 

The matching input is quoted at 1W/600Ω/1kHz, but then add 16ish dB step up gain to that and it's the same on the other side. 

Latest posts

Back