finished: total passive pultec eq - mastering edt.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthias

Hi,

I nearly finished my new pultec eqs this day..

I used 12x rotary switches for boost / cut and "emulated" the former lin/log pot curves with resistors...

that one is total passive, no gain element is involved...
so I have to build a G9 next... :)

pultec2005-1.JPG

pultec2005-2.JPG

pultec2005-3.JPG

pultec2005-5.JPG

pultec2005-4.JPG

thanks for all the help... especially cj, jakob and frank !!

cheers,
mat[/img]

Beautiful work! I like the idea of a passive filter section that can be used with any desired amplifier; that gives you a lot of flexibility. I'm planning to build my own version of the "NewYorkDave EQ" the same way, with an output that can be plugged into any mic preamp, line amp or whatever.

The Pultec filter section needs to work into a fairly high load impedance. Is there a stepdown transformer on the output of your Pultec, or do you intend to use it only with line amplifiers with high-impedance inputs?

I was gonna ask the exact same thing, what did you use for an output transformer? Ive always wanted to build a pultec like that, putting a mic level output on it would be really handy.

dave

Dave, I don't know what stepdown (if any) Matthias used, but any decent 10K:150/600 should work. Along with the ~20dB loss of the filter section, this would bring it right down to mic level.

Actually, I'm an advocate of using either a buffer or a stepdown transformer at the input of the Pultec filter section because it's a tough load that some equipment can't drive. I'd put a 10K:600 at the input. The penalty is 12dB of additional loss, but we're still reasonably within the usual "mic level" range.

wow, great work. yes a low z output would offer some interesting possibilities for make-up gain, not to mention *convenient* possibilities. what a great idea. :thumb:

Wow! That looks fantastic!

People will wonder "What the heck, a white EQP? Never seen one of those on ebay."

Try it without any output transformers. Maybe you can get away with it, depending on your makeup amp. Isn't there a "direct in" jack on the G9?

Way to go matthias! Again very nice. :thumb:
It looks like you're fulltime into DIY right?

May we see the guts of these beauties?

Very good looking box. Also those OKW knobs are a great choice.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

chrissugar

Wonderful work, Matthias!!! And a really good idea

How do you guys find all the time (and$$$) to do so many projects. Maybe I should try to organize me better and find a rich wife :roll:

:sam:
Jens

@jens: vu-lady 's the first girl, that has everything you'll ever need... hehe... :green:

@all: thanks for nice words...

@ N Y Dave, Soundguy and CJ: I don't plan to use a transformer at the output, because I think I really don't need a balanced signal there...
the amplifier (G9) should be located in the same rack...

at the input I'm using a 600:600 1:1 trafo... OEP A7E or Lundahl LL5402
still have to test, which one sounds better for me...
I want to use the pultecs only in the sub group of my mixing desk, so
I don't need an input for a mic here.

@ CJ: the front isn't white, it's a silver anodized aluminium panel..

Back