Alesis AI3 - (I hate switching PSUs)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriss

Hi Forum,

I have an Alesis AI3-AD/DA-Convertor that is defective. It's the switching-PSU.
A replacement-part costs 150 Euro, compared to a complete new unit (250 Euros) this i just too much! So does one here have experience with such a problem?
Is it possible to repair this?
Or should I replace the PSU to a standard switching PSU?
Or should I install an analogue PSU?
Does one of you have the schematics?

Don't leave me alone! PLEASE!

Chris

Replace the PSU with a linear one, maybe it will even sound a bit better.

chrissugar

Get a schematic before you do anything! Does it have Vregs on the manin board or just in the PSU? It would be almost impossible to repair the switching PSU, they're a _bitch_ to track down when they're not working!

I find it amazing that stuff as complex as switch PSUs (which have custom ICs, HF switching transistors, lowimpedance electrolytics, custom trannie, extensive filtering blah blah) are cheaper than an off-the-shelf trannie and a pair of 7815/7915+7815 :shock: :? :roll:

Most of the time the electro caps go first in switching power supplys. If you catch it early sometimes changing the caps will fix it, sometimes they let you know by the heatshrink "pullin back" on the top of the cap or leaking on the board.

If it has gone on for a while the transistors and magnetics could be bad and next to impossable to repair.

Back