HA4741

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

what's a good substitute for an 4741 opamp.  I had one go out on me and was causing crackling issues. 
The unit it goes it does a bipolar 15VDC supply and it's one of a handful.  On hand  I stuck in a tl064  to get through the evening and prevent downtime but after looking at the specs wondering what would be best, or should I just hunt for a ha4741?

Might depend on what it's doing.

That being said, just about ANY opamp today is far "beyond" what an ancient 741's capable of (bandwidth, noise, distortion etc), so... Worst case, you might need to add some sub-1nF caps in parallel with feedback resistors, to prevent any potential instability, but other than that, i'd reckon just about any replacement would be an upgrade.

... Possibly only except if "vintage mojo" absolutely MUST be preserved...  ::)

The HA4741 (Harris/Intersil) is NOT an "ancient 741" it was even used in Neve consoles of the 80's.  Furthermore it is a low noise QUAD opamp also produced by Raytheon, Fairchild (RC4741) and JRC (NJM4741).  It is less noisy than the TL064 and even the TL074.  If you can't find a ..4741 or you want to use one with a higher slew rate you can use a NJM2060 (which can be also found in older Behringer stuff marked as "BE037").

analogguru said:
The HA4741 (Harris/Intersil) is NOT an "ancient 741" it was even used in Neve consoles of the 80's.  Furthermore it is a low noise QUAD opamp also produced by Raytheon, Fairchild (RC4741) and JRC (NJM4741).  It is less noisy than the TL064 and even the TL074.  If you can't find a ..4741 or you want to use one with a higher slew rate you can use a NJM2060 (which can be also found in older Behringer stuff marked as "BE037").
Trying to avoid an order for a single opamp. Should I try an lm324, I imagine it would be ok.

I don't know the unit where it is used but a LM324 is far worse than a ..4741 or a 2060.  Don't you have access to an abandoned Behringer unit of the 90's ?

The ..4741 can handle +/- 20V,  all others only +/- 18V, that is true.
If voltage is a problem reduce the power supply (to +/- 16V to be on the safe side, the loss of headroom is less than 1dB).

At least it should be a TL074 and not the noisy TL064/LM324.

analogguru said:
I don't know the unit where it is used but a LM324 is far worse than a ..4741 or a 2060.  Don't you have access to an abandoned Behringer unit of the 90's ?

The ..4741 can handle +/- 20V,  all others only +/- 18V, that is true.
If voltage is a problem reduce the power supply (to +/- 16V to be on the safe side, the loss of headroom is less than 1dB).

At least it should be a TL074 and not the noisy TL064/LM324.

O.k. the unit in question is a graphic eq by white.  it runs bipolar 15VDC.  the 064 was just to get through the day.  trying to avoid an order for a single IC and all the local shops are currently closed.  on hand I got 064's and lm324's. might just have to wait then and run it as is for now. any extra noise has not been noticeable either by ear or by machine.

From looking at the data sheet the 4741 looks unremarkable except perhaps for somewhat better than typical 0.5mV dc input offset voltage.

9nV rt/Hz noise and 1.6V uSec slew rate will not win prizes but be adequate for audio.

The significance of DC offset may depend on the circuit, in some applications a higher DC offset part could  cause scratchy pots.

===
TL064 is just a meh lower current TL074 with worse DC characteristics than 4741
===
the mc33079 tags all the bases and exceeds all the obvious 4741 specs.
===
the LM324 is noisier, slower, with more DC offset, so pass.

The 33079 looks like the winner for your needs from this group, while I have never used one... They are both bipolar opamps with PNP input devices.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
From looking at the data sheet the 4741 looks unremarkable except perhaps for somewhat better than typical 0.5mV dc input offset voltage.

9nV rt/Hz noise and 1.6V uSec slew rate will not win prizes but be adequate for audio.

The significance of DC offset may depend on the circuit, in some applications a higher DC offset part could  cause scratchy pots.

===
TL064 is just a meh lower current TL074 with worse DC characteristics than 4741
===
the mc33079 tags all the bases and exceeds all the obvious 4741 specs.
===
the LM324 is noisier, slower, with more DC offset, so pass.

The 33079 looks like the winner for your needs from this group, while I have never used one... They are both bipolar opamps with PNP input devices.

JR

just trying to keep the piece working as best it can without doing to whole you need to chip swap this that and other because the net says so.

Latest posts

Back