Happy Thanksgiving!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebird

To all my American friends, and everyone else.
Its been a crazy ride this year, but since we are still here posting on a forum with our computers/phones, in some kind of shelter, using electricity, we all have something to be grateful for.

I'm grateful for all the brilliant 8), strange :eek:, kind :-*, funny :p, minds on this forum.

I'm grateful to be able to come here and pop out of my own life for a couple minutes, and peer into the minds of people from all around the world.

Thank you, and much love,
Ian

Even though we dont celebrate Thanksgiving here in Ireland ,
I'll second all Ians well wishes.
I guess its worth adding a special thought for all who find themselves separated from family and friends this year.

We'll meet again,
Don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again
Some sunny day.
Keep smiling through,
Just like you always do,
'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away.

Just heard a wonderful musical quote on the radio, thought I'd share with you all  ,
'Winners write the history but the loosers write the songs'  Frank Harte

Kindest regards,
David.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I am grateful and thankful for a lot, obviously this forum and all  the brilliant people on here is a huge thing to be thankful for. I am thankful my friends, family and myself are safe and healthy.
Lastly I am thankful for the fact mankind has not blown it self up  avoid WWIII on multiple occasions.

Three examples of  mankind not  causing WWIII and blowing the world up.

Vasily Alexandrovich Arkhipov (Russian: Василий Александрович Архипов, IPA: [vɐˈsʲilʲɪj ɐlʲɪkˈsandrəvʲɪtɕ arˈxʲipɔːf], 30 January 1926 – 19 August 1998) was a Soviet Navy officer credited with preventing a Soviet nuclear strike (and, presumably, all-out nuclear war) during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Such an attack likely would have caused a major global thermonuclear response.

As flotilla commander and second-in-command of the diesel powered submarine B-59, Arkhipov refused to authorize the captain's use of nuclear torpedoes against the United States Navy, a decision requiring the agreement of all three senior officers aboard.

In 2002, Thomas Blanton, who was then director of the US National Security Archive, said that Arkhipov "saved the world"

Stanislav Yevgrafovich Petrov (Russian: Станисла́в Евгра́фович Петро́в; 7 September 1939 – 19 May 2017) was a lieutenant colonel of the Soviet Air Defence Forces who played a key role in the 1983 Soviet nuclear false alarm incident. On 26 September 1983, three weeks after the Soviet military had shot down Korean Air Lines Flight 007, Petrov was the duty officer at the command center for the Oko nuclear early-warning system when the system reported that a missile had been launched from the United States, followed by up to five more. Petrov judged the reports to be a false alarm thinking if the U.S. would have really started this, the would not have launch just 6 it would have been hundreds. His decision to disobey orders, against Soviet military protocol, is credited with having prevented an erroneous retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States and its NATO allies that could have resulted in a large-scale nuclear war. Investigation later confirmed that the Soviet satellite warning system had indeed malfunctioned.

It was the middle of the night on 25 October 1962 and a truck was racing down a runway in Wisconsin. It had just moments to stop a flight.
Mere minutes earlier, a guard at Duluth Sector Direction Center had glimpsed a shadowy form attempting to climb the facility’s perimeter fence. He shot at it and raised the alert, fearing that this was part of a wider Soviet attack. Instantly, intruder alarms were ringing at every air base in the area.
The situation escalated remarkably quickly. At nearby Volk Field, an air base, someone flicked the wrong switch – so rather than the standard security warning, pilots heard an emergency siren telling them to scramble. Soon there was a frenzy of activity, as they rushed to take to the skies, armed with nuclear weapons.
It was the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis and everyone was on edge. Eleven days earlier, a spy plane had captured photographs of secret launchers, missiles and trucks in Cuba, which suggested the Soviets were mobilising to strike targets across the United States. As the world knew only too well, all it would take was one single strike from either nation to trigger an unpredictable escalation.
As it happens, on this occasion there was no imposter – at least, not a human one. The figure skulking around the fence is thought to have been a large black bear. It was all a mistake.
But back at Volk Field, the squadron was still unaware of this fact. They had been told there would be no practice runs, and as they boarded their planes, they were entirely convinced that this was it –World War Three had begun.
In the end, the base commander figured out what had happened. The pilots were intercepted by a quick-thinking official, who drove a truck at them as they started their engines on the runway.

Gobble gobble! Happy gratitude day! My thanksgiving dinner this year was provided by WAWA--the hot turkey gobbler sub. It was actually pretty good!

Happy thanksgiving.  And I’d like to thank the Russian officers for preventing WWIII. And a fast thinking truck driving officer.  Those are stories of sane people in some impossibly situation making the right choice.  God bless this mess!

We forget the message of the original Thanksgiving feast.... Pilgrims siting down sharing food with local Indians. The spirit of that original cooperation has been lost in the centuries since.

I do appreciate the good will from most members here.

JR

Back