linear slide (fader) mechanism actuating rotary pot, example?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shabtek

does anyone have info or example of such a product?
in a parallel universe I have seen such an animal: a rotary pot housed in a linear slide actuator

shabtek said:
yes!  thanks

any other examples?
In the 70's there was a sliding potentiometer based on a rotary pot and a worm gear. The pich of the worm gear was such that the travel produced about 300° rotation.
The worm gear was made out pf plastic.

The first Studer (tube) mixer in the 50' use helical cylinder to turn a pot from linear translation

Best
Zam

ADM (Audio Design Manufacturing) was based in the Detroit area and sold desks primarily to the TV broadcast industry.  The used their own design (patented) for the faders.  I also have a short movie clip I recorded, but .AVI files aren't allowed here.

Bri

Attachments

• slidex.jpg
    slidex.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 43
Brian Roth said:
ADM (Audio Design Manufacturing) was based in the Detroit area and sold desks primarily to the TV broadcast industry.  The used their own design (patented) for the faders.  I also have a short movie clip I recorded, but .AVI files aren't allowed here.

Bri

Thats so cool.

Do you think you could upload the video to youtube?

would love to check it out

shabtek said:
does anyone have info or example of such a product?
in a parallel universe I have seen such an animal: a rotary pot housed in a linear slide actuator

Gotham faders and others of that vintage were designed that way IIRC.

Or you can over engineer it the way Shure did on their SR101 8 channel mixer.....  ;D

Attachments

• Fader.jpg
    Fader.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 24
Auditronics Grandson consoles also have faders that work that way, can't believe I don't have a pic...

The Ogden made Spectra Sonics 1024's used an in-house made fader with a slider that actuated an AB Rv6 pot with a string/cog configuration.

they were nice long throw faders. Even had a halfway decent feel, and the pot was sealed from cigarette ash and dust and easily replaceable.

I can post photos/specs tomorrow when im back in the lab if it would be helpful.

T.

mutterd said:
The Ogden made Spectra Sonics 1024's used an in-house made fader with a slider that actuated an AB Rv6 pot with a string/cog configuration.

they were nice long throw faders. Even had a halfway decent feel, and the pot was sealed from cigarette ash and dust and easily replaceable.

I can post photos/specs tomorrow when im back in the lab if it would be helpful.

T.

Anything from Spectra Sonics is always of interest to me!

Bri

Attachments

• spectta sonics 1020.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Philips MM1 desk - the The EL3671 fader module.

Note that these were faders linearized by slightly individually shaping the "drum" the moving metal band was turning (!!)

/Jakob E.

Attachments

• EL3671_pic.JPG
    EL3671_pic.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 22
Back