Best of both worlds? Recall? Farewell to Pots? (NG500?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velo

GDIY Supporter
Two subjects here: Digital Recall of Analog Interface settings and, specifically the NG500 chassis (WES Audio only?)
Have you used and/or have an opinion on NG500 chassis and/or digital recall of analog module interface settings? Since I've not yet acquired a 500-series chassis and would like to, I think it would be a fine way to begin if NG500 is going to have some industry adoption.

My mind is wandering to serial communications channels, some scheme for addressing individual chassis units, and MUX/digital register-controlled resistor ladders with rotary switches and LEDs replacing all pots.

This seems like an area that is just starting and would be rich with DIY possibilities. As a segue, the attached photo of this point-to-point wired innerTUBE Audio tube preamp is already sporting a digital man/machine interface albeit one of the early forms. :D

My main concern would be keeping the analog free of unintended digital side effects to capture settings and reproduce control voltages since one cannot observe the universe without changing it.

Should I be looking at standards like NG500 or whatever non-hw-specific standard that uses? What are those standards beyond MIDI? USB? Serial? Parallel?

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've been using a Wes Audio Rhea (500-series vari-mu compressor) on my master bus for the last few mix projects I've done. The processor itself sounds great - clean vari-mu - and the "NG500" digital recall stuff is absolutely brilliant. Once it's set up it works very smoothly, an entire rack of this stuff would really be something. No complaints here!

As I understand it, the NG500 system is a Wes Audio system. I'm not sure if any of it is open-source.

i use a ngbusscomp for like 3 years and it's a real game changer in an hybrid workflow.

i see on their website that their system is open to other manufacturer

https://wesaudio.com/gcon-open-system/
Thanks for finding that. I was looking for a G-spec of some kind and could not remember/somehow did not see that on their site. Since they apparently provide source code in C, given my experience with C/C++ programming, it looks like this may be something I should consider.

From the manual, it looks like they have 4 bits of slot addressing so max 2^4 = 16 modules per chassis/USB cable. Someone somewhere will eventually have more than 16 modules. I wonder if that is supported. https://wesaudio.com/uploads/manuals/WesAudio_gcon_framework_manual.pdf

I've been using a Wes Audio Rhea (500-series vari-mu compressor) on my master bus for the last few mix projects I've done. The processor itself sounds great - clean vari-mu - and the "NG500" digital recall stuff is absolutely brilliant. Once it's set up it works very smoothly, an entire rack of this stuff would really be something. No complaints here!

As I understand it, the NG500 system is a Wes Audio system. I'm not sure if any of it is open-source.
Am looking at the RHEA to fill my current Vari-Mu void...does it interface well with Pro Tools (as far as the recall stuff)? Thx.

Have you compared it to a Manley vari mu? I've been using access analog's Manley and I'm thinking of getting a Rhea 500, but I'm wondering if the Wes has a similar "weight" to the Manley.

Latest posts

Back