Some G9 newbie questions... :)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resilient

Hi all! I am beginning to plan out a G9 build. :) I have built a tube amp and a pedal before, so I feel decently confident about this build. Anyways, on to the questions...

Where can I source the input and output transformers (and needed screening cans, if applicable) in the US? Also, which of the two transformers are the cheapest? I am sure this will sound good with either and I'm on a "college-student budget"! ;) I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it when I searched for it.

Also, what is a "2XCO" relay?

Thanks for the help.

Brandon

[quote author="resilient"] Where can I source the input and output transformers (and needed screening cans, if applicable) in the US? Also, which of the two transformers are the cheapest?
[/quote]

OEP transformers available thru' RS and/or Farnell are cheapest. For Lundahl availability, search these forums (was it K&K audio in the u.s.?)

Also, what is a "2XCO" relay?

two-times-change-over relay

Jakob E.

another newbie question :

i'm near to the end of my G9 too

and i wanna know if i can use
the Instrument input to plug
my Preamp Riaa Output
to have a little bit more gain with the G9
and more "sound"

i think the "Line" Input of the G9
is only for balanced signals
but can i plug a Asymetric Line into ?
with only the Hot & Ground

thanks

In the U.S., you can order the OEPs through Newark. Kevin at K&K Audio sells Lundahls.

The OEPs are cheaper, but the Lundahls sound incredible... I think there's even audio files out there comparing the sound with both transformers, IIRC. Do a search.

And welcome! :thumb:

Peace,
Al.

used oep in my 1 channel g9. im pretty pleased with them.

going to build 2 channel lundhal version in the future though.

[quote author="resilient"]Would I need to call Newark about the OEPs? I noticed they don't have them listed on their site.[/quote]

They have them in their site... They don't stock it, though, so you gotta find their "special order" search box, which is kinda hard to find: type in some gibberish (tvcyh24bcruy4h2ruvc) in the regular search box on their homepage, and hit enter. You'll find the special order search box at the bottom of the page that opens.

Or I guess you could always just call them...

Peace,
Al.

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=304047&e_categoryid=260&e_pcodeid=51314

Those cross-referenced for a TL783. Anybody know if they would actually work? The TL783 that Mouser carried at one point was by TI and had since been discontinued. ???

Brandon

[quote author="resilient"]Those cross-referenced for a TL783.[/quote]

Those are 317s...completely different Vregs.

Peace,
Al.

Regarding the OEP's in the US, I ordered them directly from Farnell via telephone. They were shipped by airmail the next day and I got them faster than when I order from Mouser! I don't remember what I paid for shipping but it seemed completely reasonable. I suggest ordering direct and not through Newark. Make sure you get the shielding cans at the same time.

A quick tip for soldering the OEP cans: Use plumber's flux and a torch to tin the edges of the can and the bottom plate first, then use a high wattage iron to tack the plate and can together once the x-former is mounted inside. Don't forget to also solder the plate to the ground leg of the xformer.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back