1081 Parts Info

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brent Avril in LA is willing to sell the KNobs for the 1081 at:

the red marconi are $30,
blue and grey boost/cut inner concentrics knobs are $22
the outer concentric aluminium are $18.

Thats $230.00 USD per channel. Seems a bit high for me. I guess I will keep looking:

I like the Tyco / Alcoswitch PKGP-70B-1/4 for the gain knob. Paint it red! $4.00

Still looking for the others ...

-ChuckD

Here are some options I've found recently ...

Knobs solutions :

redwing21mm1.jpg

redwing21mm.jpg

gryblu21mm1.jpg

concentric21_14mm.jpg

Red28_21mm1.jpg

NEVE options:

red wing knob (21mm x 1/4") - $2.38
Dual Grey w/blue cap flat finish - $3.88
Dual Black w/cap flat finish - $3.88

Individual:

dual concentric bot (21mm x 1/4") dbl pointer or round / flat or glossy $1.65 - $1.95 ea
dual concentric top (14mm x 1/8") round / flat or glossy finish $1.45 - $1.65 ea
Red Wing Knob 21mm dia 1/4" shaft collet $2.38 ea
caps (14mm) blk,y,bl,gry,red,grn - $0.28
caps (21mm) - $0.38

email Frank at DiySurplus
diysurplus (at) yahoo (dot) com

hi chuckD,
i haven't had time to do more experimenting with this, but you can get the shaft collar from surplus sales of nebraska (1/4"-1/4") for like $3.50 each when you buy more than 3 and jameco's hobby robotics store has the shafts, but only in stainless steel so a little expensive: here of course there's always mcmaster-carr or OSH.
i picked up some dual concentric with pots already coupled at surplus, but they are a bit too big to fit in a 1U (but i'm planning on putting two channels of 1081 in a 2U anyway) and i'll need see if i can change the wafers to work in the application needed. electroswitch never got back to me about ordering the exact D2 series dual concentric rotaries directly from them so i think that's a bust.
hope this helps.
-grant

I am putting 2 into a 2U or 3U rack as well. Where do I get those ones you bought at "surplus" Do you have any info on the store? Are they online or would they know what I was talking about if I called them up?

-ChuckD

hi chuckD,
i got it at a place called HSC here in san jose (they do have an online store, but it's not very good). it was in a box of junk switches and they were asking for something like $6 per unit, but i talked them down to $3 per. i'm not sure if they would know what you are talking about if you called them since it was in a box considered "misc. switches". i can look for some for you, but i don't think it will have the quantity you will need for all your switches (i just picked up a couple) and you will need to source wafers to fit them with the right contact properties (i.e. pol/pos/MMB/BBM etc.) so i'm not sure if it will be a good place to start. i picked up the switches from this surplus place more as an experiment to see if i could build a switch from scratch with the right properties necessary for the 1081, but having trouble sourcing the correct wafers to fit them.
ultimately, i would have wanted electroswitch to give me the quote on the D2 series i requested, but that didn't work out.
i'm really considering just having all my switches and pots seperate since i'll have more room on a 2U front panel rather than trying to source these switches.
regards,
grant

Hello,
Can somebody contribute some commercial reference to buy in some place the necessary concentric rotatory switches for the 1081?

It's possible to organize a buy group of rotatory switches and knobs?

Hi

Seeing as the blore-edwards cumulative shorting and non shorting rotary switches don't seem to be available anymore ( :cry: ), I'm doing this:

Grayhill 1 deck 71 series (adjustable stops, non-shorting) for the upper and lower filters with seperate gain pots (about 22usd each)

Grayhill 3 deck 71 series (adjustable stops, shorting and non-shorting) for the upper and lower mid presence with seperate gain pots (about 39usd each)

Grayhill 3 deck 71 series (adjustable stops, shorting and non-shorting)
for the treble and bass with seperate gain pots and re-calculating the
capacitors to emulate the cumulative settings. (about 39usd each)

4 deck (only use 3) 23 position non shorting from HiFi Collective (42usd each) for the gain switch.

I did a rough calculation on the treble/bass switch caps and it seems
feasible to do this - each deck position parallels it's caps, so it's just
a matter of using the added values in each position and finding the closest
value available. I think I can get about 6-12% within the proper value.

Good enough for me!

The resistors seem to be just for anti-pop on switch clicks so I think that
they should be OK as they are - no need to 'cumulate'.

Anyone have any comments on this approach?

Thanks

excellent work kevin!
i'm not going to ask how you got that switch company to even respond to you...it's magic!
so does this mean a group buy? :green: (if so very interested).
thanks for researching this!
regards,
grant

trust me it wasn't easy. I found a High FI bloke who used them recently for a attenuator switch setup. He helped me find em.

I'm going to email tonight regarding mechanicals of those switches, and see if I can get some drawings. I'd like to cross them to the email with part numbers right off the 1081 manual that I sent.

There is allegedly to be a catalog on it's way and I'll not think much about everything till that shows up. I may request a sample switch before acting.

If anyone would like to handle a group buy, I'll pony up the all the info I have. I'm thinking I shouldn't try to handle one till my relocation to Seattle is complete. At least thats what I'm thinking this moment.

Kevin

Well, I might be able to do the group buy, since I did the last one with Jonathan and I know how everything works. I have the part numbers, and other info, etc.

Are we talking like a dozen sets between us? or more? I'm not asking for orders, or everyone to jump in posting their numbers -- please don't yet!

Just a feeler.

It would be nice to keep it low profile, discreet, and not let it get too massive or take too long or attract too much attention...
:wink:

Would it be in the best interest to somewhat sensor the info I posted?

I'm sure there is at least 65 sets needing switches out there, thinking about 100. I got a email back from them regarding the switches and he made sure to post the product name in it. I asked him for mechanical drawings and he is getting those to me over the next couple days.

Price wise the more the better because the USD sucks to the GBP.

At no group discount the switches cost around $700USD a set down to $200USD a set at the highest discount.

It could be something that is on here and off here.. as in don't post you needs etc..

Something can be worked out, Tommy Piper I sent you a PM.

Latest posts

Back